Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D Fat Cat problems...update

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: D&D Fat Cat problems

Attachments don't seem to be working.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a fix before anyone else breaks&nbsp\\;a bolt (btw you can find replacement bolts in stainless at Lowes or Home Depot). With the muffler removed from the bike, take the clamp and the decorative cover off the base of the muffler. This will reveal the slice that D&amp\\;D puts into the muffler body so the clamp will compress when tightened. Take a hack saw and slot the opening a little deeper than the D&amp\\;D slots (by about a 1/2") or so. This will allow better clamping pressure to be exerted when tightening the clamp down. Issue with the stock muffler prep is that they are not deep enough slots and being that they are so close to the edge of the pipe, the clamp cannot exert enough pressure to secure it to the head pipe. Added insurance is to drill and insert a stop bolt near the rear hanger mount to prevent the pipe from sliding back in case it ever does loosen. I've done this to about 6 pipes now and it fixes it right away. Lots of info posted here on the site if you search D&amp\\;D Fatcat Installations.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto to Glides responce, increase the slit depth

Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

ORIGINAL: GlideMan

Here's a fix before anyone else breaks&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;a bolt (btw you can find replacement bolts in stainless at Lowes or Home Depot). With the muffler removed from the bike, take the clamp and the decorative cover off the base of the muffler. This will reveal the slice that D&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;D puts into the muffler body so the clamp will compress when tightened. Take a hack saw and slot the opening a little deeper than the D&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;D slots (by about a 1/2") or so. This will allow better clamping pressure to be exerted when tightening the clamp down. Issue with the stock muffler prep is that they are not deep enough slots and being that they are so close to the edge of the pipe, the clamp cannot exert enough pressure to secure it to the head pipe. Added insurance is to drill and insert a stop bolt near the rear hanger mount to prevent the pipe from sliding back in case it ever does loosen. I've done this to about 6 pipes now and it fixes it right away. Lots of info posted here on the site if you search D&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;D Fatcat Installations.
Since the problem seems to be so wide spread, I assume D&amp\\;\\\\\\;D knows about this and they have chosen not to fix it???

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am getting ready to purchase a 2:1 for my 08 RG.&nbsp\\; I was just about ready to go with the Fatcat but these issues with the muffler keep coming up.&nbsp\\;
I realize a simple cut with the hacksaw and a bolt in the back fixes the problem but:
&nbsp\\;
Why wont D&amp\\;D fix it?&nbsp\\; Obvously they know about it, its been going on a long time.&nbsp\\; D&amp\\;D needs to step up.
&nbsp\\;
Because of these "muffler" issues I have decided to go with my second choice, Bassanni Road Rage.
&nbsp\\;
Wake up D&amp\\;D, you are loosing business!!!!
&nbsp\\;
Doug

Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Another good practice is to sand the mating points on the pipe and muffler. Doing this and using a little permatex ultra copper silicone with proper torque on the bolt and it won't slide back. Chrome on chrome doesn't grip well. Personally I wouldn't do the bolt in the rear hanger trick as that might cause a vibration problem because the pipe needs to be able to slide in the hanger a little as the motor moves in it's mounts.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
EddyD
Banned

Typical DandD quality engineering![:'(]

Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
FireRescueFL
Tourer

Funny, I've had 3 separate systems from D&D and never had any issues. Not saying that something isn't wrong, just that I've never had any probems. Has anyone contacted D&D about this? You'd be surprised how long a company can continue making a product and think everyone is doing great with it if no one ever tells them differently!

-Chris

Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: atexn4christ

I thought I would fill you guys in. I ended buying a new muffler this time I went with the standard baffle this time. I like the sound better. I noticed as I was taking off the collector cover (as the new one did not come with one) that the slits on the new one were twice as long.
&nbsp\\;
Tex...I also bought a new black muffler for my Fatcat with the standard baffle vs the current quiet one, only because I was advised by D&amp\\;D to not mess with just removing the baffle after it had been powder coated, so&nbsp\\; now I will have two mufflers.&nbsp\\; I thought I wanted the standard baffle sound, but since ordering it, the quiet one has really grown on me and seems to be getting a bit richer sounding.&nbsp\\; Either way the new standard baffle is still in the box but I guess I'll put it on.&nbsp\\; So you're liking the sound a lot better with the standard?&nbsp\\; Any difference in performance that you can feel?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the issue is really trying to reuse old muffler clamps. buy new clamps and drill for a screw. no more problems

Quick Reply: D&D Fat Cat problems...update