Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM radio & Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM
wglindsay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio & Road King Classic

I am contemplating adding an XM radio to my 03 Road King Classic. I have searched the forum but most of the info is on bikes with farings. Has anyone had any success or failure with the XM on the RKC they would like to share? I am looking for the best looking mount for the radio and most effective mount for the antenna. I was thinking on or in the saddle bag for the antenna.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Barry Weeks
Intermediate
Default RE: XM radio & Road King Classic

I have my XM mounted on a bracket that I made connected to the lower screw that holds the dash panel to the tank on a 97' RK. I have it connected to a fused hot. I put a Walk Man in the pouch on the back of my rider back rest and use Koss ear buds under my helmet. It's not the best set up in the world and it does serve the purpose.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
streetglide#1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Sirius!
Name:  SirXM.gif
Views: 267
Size:  13.8 KB

Old 03-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 03-10-2006, 03:20 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

I just installed the Autocom communication system on my RKC and will install a XM radio in a short while. Remember that most XM radios do not have volume control. A "Mix-It" will resolve that problem for about $150. A better and cheaper way is to go with the XM My-Fi which has a built in amplifier. These little jewels use to be expensive (over $300). But you can buy them now for $159 and get a $50 rebate until early April. They have a built in antenna and can store 5 hours of memory. You can carry it around in your pocket also.
Gary

Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 AM
wblockel
Novice

I installed a Roady II on my '06 RK Classic using a black bracket (I still have black controls) that mounts to the top of the brake reservoir. It holds the XM radio, the antenna, and all the antenna wire in on neat package. They even make a little rain cover for it as the radio is not waterproof. Very clean very simple setup.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
wglindsay
Cruiser

wblockel
Does the Roady come with a volume control? Or do you have an amp installed somewhere else on the bike?

Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

First, I have the Roady2 and it has no internal audio adjustment (that I've seen). It has a built in FM Modulator so it can transmit to the FM on your bike. It also has a headphone jack output, so, you can hook it up to another option (i.e. headsets, but more likely, something like a stereo system) On my wing, I have an aux jack, so I can use either method.
That mount that goes on top of the brake resevoir is called a "HOON" mount, and costs approx 35 bucks, give or take with shipping. It's powdered metal, so the magnetic antenna stays on very well. I personally use 3M Dual-Lock to hold my Roady2 on. It's the same stuff that everyone uses to hold their I-PASS, or EZ PASS, or whatever they call it in other states. Works well, never had a problem in over 7 months, but it's good to check the mounting from time to time. They are not waterproof, so, that may be an issue to look into.
I hear you can buy Dual Lock at various stores, including Radio Shack, Wal Mart and Target. You only get about 4-6 inches of the stuff for 3-5 bucks. I bought mine from a guy on EBay...about 7 bucks for 5 feet of it. Excellent quality, and he's in California. Of course, I have all this Dual Lock laying around now.
I hear an AMP makes it sound much better, but I've never needed one.

But, if I EVER need more !.........

Old 03-13-2006, 01:11 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

Neither the Roady or Roady 2 have volume control. And though I could be wrong I think the My-Fi is the only XM with volume contol.
Gary

Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
ultraclassic137
Road Master

ORIGINAL: wblockel

I installed a Roady II on my '06 RK Classic using a black bracket (I still have black controls) that mounts to the top of the brake reservoir. It holds the XM radio, the antenna, and all the antenna wire in on neat package. They even make a little rain cover for it as the radio is not waterproof. Very clean very simple setup.
Do you have a link where we can find the mount you described?