Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glide-Pro install and tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glide-Pro install and tips

Here's my review on the Glide-Pro #GP 2302 (newest version).
After reading everything I could about the dreaded "bagger wobble" I decided to try the Glide-Pro stabilizer setup.
I figured anyone that offers a money back guarantee must be pretty serious about their product.
Let me first say that I never ran fast enough to get the wobble , because my bike felt so "spooky" at any speed over 50 mph , I didn't want to go any faster....
I watched the install video http://www.glide-pro.com/install/ about 10 times so I could see how hard it might be.
I ordered the Glide-Pro and hoped to get it in about a week , but it went about 3 weeks.
Turns out Jake Orr wanted to get out the newer version of the product to the customers.
Some will remember the bushings were red , now they're yellow.
The original bushings were about a #40 durometer and the new ones are about #30 durometer (softer).
The install went pretty much like I thought , the exhaust was a pain and took most of the install time.
I'm a mechanic by trade , so my install time was about 1hour and 45 minutes.
The fit and finish of the bushings and shaft were excellent and the directions were pretty good.
The handling of the bike changed from night to day , and the spooky feel on long sweepers and side winds were gone.
I did notice a vibration increase though and fired off an email to Glide-Pro.
I got a response within hours and Jake wanted to know if I had the new (yellow) bushings or the older ones , and offered to ship me new ones right away.
We emailed back and forth a couple times and he told me to load backward on the motor while loosening and re-torquing the vertical (front) engine mount bolt.
I wasn't sure what he meant so I called him , Jake picked up and we talked for a bit , and he explained what he meant further.
I figured , great customer service so far....
What we ended up doing was to torque the 2 end nuts on the Glide-Pro shaft with me sitting on the bike so as not to cause a "preload" condition.
I rode it for a few hundred miles and got a feel for that one tweak.
I then got looking at my factory front mount and noticed the mount was over to the left side of the bike as it was installed from the factory.
I loosened the 2 side bolts and moved the mount to the center so it would "pump" true.
Took a ride around the block and it was better , almost factory smooth.
Then I did what Jake said and put a rearward load against the engine and loosened and tightened the vertical front engine mount bolt.
This is done with a piece of wood or large bar , with a rag to protect the engine block.
You would pry between the engine oil pan and the front frame member (where the front engine mount) is.
The mount from the engine block is slotted , so it is pretty easy to get movement from it.
I did this , took it for a ride and the bike is back to it's smooth riding ways.
I'm a happy camper now and can absolutely promote this product to others.
Something I did notice is that even very small tweaks in the front engine mount can make a significant change in the ride and idle feel of the touring bikes.
I did notice that if the front mount "pumps" like a crazy piston . the idle looks very jumpy , but the ride gets much smoother when it can move
unrestricted side to side and front to rear.
This may help others that just have a nagging shake that just won't go away , it's a sensitive adjustment to be sure.
So that's it , I can't thank Jake enough for a great product , and super customer service.
Hey , it even comes with a pretty cool T-shirt.......
Mick

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts
Default RE: Glide-Pro install and tips

thanks for the review ben lookin at it for awhile the rear end just feels to soft for me and i didnt like the idea of giving up any ground clearance for any of the others its definetly on my list

Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the great write up.&nbsp\\; sounds like excellent customer service.&nbsp\\; i'm just amazed at the cost for these items (ride-str8, twr, glide-pro, alloy-art).&nbsp\\; it seems like for what you get, the cost should not be what it is.&nbsp\\; glad you like the product though.&nbsp\\; ride safe.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1
&nbsp\\;
The Glide pro works great. I live in san diego near Jakes place. He offered to have me come down and we would do the install at his shop. It took about an hour or so. It was helpful to have two people to help set/align the spindle to the swingarm tho. The guy is super cool and the product works great. I like it because it is a simple and effective design.
And it just plain works!
&nbsp\\;
Thanks Jake!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

dam good installaton instructions thanks for the review !!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 AM
gdeezer
Novice

Great review.&nbsp\\; This is what this forum is all about.&nbsp\\; I am about to get a glide -pro for my bike because I have noticed a wobble or maybe I am hypersensitive&nbsp\\; since I went down in April.&nbsp\\; In any case this looks like a simple elegant solution.
&nbsp\\;
Gdeezer

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the post.&nbsp\\; That's what this forum is all about.&nbsp\\; Much appreciated.&nbsp\\; I need this thing.&nbsp\\; I've been in sweepers at +100 and gotten in that wobble, and it's one scarry event.&nbsp\\; Last time it happened I was headed to Sturgis and going up over the Big Horn in WY.&nbsp\\; When I got to Rapid City, I asked the HD TECH REP at the Convention about it, and he said, "Don't go that fast"... "That bike isn't made for that kind of speed and torgue in the corners, the frame is flexing"....&nbsp\\; That seems easy enough, huh?&nbsp\\; Aren't these guys all members of MENSA?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Glide Pro Upgrade

Just had the Glide Pro swingarm bushing/front mount kit put on my '91 FLHS and what a difference. Went with the Custom Cycle s.s. spherical cleve bearing on inner swingarm as recommended by Jake. Older baggers don't overlook that addition. Also had Progressive Suspension variable rate stock height fork springs put in and my old girl is riding firm, tight and on a rail now. What a difference!! When I shake the handle bars now only the front wheel moves instead of getting the rear end "waggle" like before. Jake's "Tech" section was really informative and his products are great and worth every penny. Try R&Ding and manufacturing the high grade steel and urethane AND design and see how much in time and production costs it is. Those bolt on stablilizers are as much or more and don't really fix anything. Also my engine vibration is much reduced and smoother thanks to the new mounts all around. Thanks Jake if you're reading this!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had the Glide Pro front and rear swing arm mounts installed on my 2005 Road King. The instructions indicated that there is a 500 mile break-in period. What exactly does that mean? Do I need to re-tourqe or adjust anything after 500 miles or does it just mean the bushings will loosen up at 500 miles and I shouldn't try adjusting anything or worry about any vibrations until then. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike but a few miles from the shop so far, so I don't have any good feedback yet. I plan on taking it out for a long ride in about 2 hours, as soon as this cold snap warms up here in Florida.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info Mick, I think it's on my "too do" list.

Quick Reply: Glide-Pro install and tips