Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone change handlebars on '08 ABS? Dealer says no brake line for it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 AM
CasperHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone change handlebars on '08 ABS? Dealer says no brake line for it.

Has anyone changed their handlebars on an '08 ABS touring model?&nbsp\\; I have an '08 Ultra with ABS.&nbsp\\; The dealer said they don't make a longer brake line for it.&nbsp\\; But they can make a new brake line which, of course, costs an arm and a leg.&nbsp\\; But it may only be about double the cost of a normal brake line...
&nbsp\\;
The brake line from the grip is what needs to be extended.&nbsp\\; That's different than the brake line you see coming from the front wheel to a T under the triple tree.&nbsp\\; That should be able to be left stock.&nbsp\\; But since the handlebars are getting longer, the brake line going to them needs to be longer.&nbsp\\; Probably.&nbsp\\; And they didn't find a longer brake line for an ABS model.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Or is that line no different than non-ABS models?&nbsp\\; And it's different only after the ABS module?
&nbsp\\;
Anyone know anything about ABS brake lines?&nbsp\\; Anyone explain it to me?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks!&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
JohnB445
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone change handlebars on '08 ABS? Dealer says no brake line for it.

I have been waiting 2 weeks for my dealer to come up with a price.

Labor and material to put extended bars on my 08 RKC. I have ABS

maybe that is the reason. I am going to call Wednesday I will let

you know what they tell me.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Anyone change handlebars on '08 ABS? Dealer says no brake line for it.

The dealer is correct in that HD has not made a longer brake hose for the ABS model.&nbsp\\; That may come out in their 09 catalog/dealer show which I have been told is this month.&nbsp\\; I am sure barnett could make one\\; and probably is working on it now.&nbsp\\; If not, I bet they would make one if you removed the one on your bike and sent it to them with measurements of what you need.
&nbsp\\;
Now, for the second question.&nbsp\\; If you take the time to look at your machine you will find the brake line runs from the master cylinder to the neck area where it changes to a Hard line...that hard line runs to the ABS module under the right side cover.&nbsp\\; When you change the handlebars and go with a longer run...that should be the only line that needs changing.&nbsp\\; There is a line from the ABS module to the actual brake set on the front and it T's under the triple tree.&nbsp\\; I don't see the need to change that line unless you are going/want stainless braided and at this time...no one makes a replacement either....at least that I know of.
&nbsp\\;
There is some play in the handlebar line so that if the change is not too drastic, you could get away with a changed handlebar...how much play would require you to take the fairing apart and trace the line to find the slack.&nbsp\\; I have looked at mine on my 08 RK and there is a little...exactly how much...I don't know yet....haven't measured it.
&nbsp\\;
As for taking the fairing apart...I am talking based on how HD routed the line on the 07's.&nbsp\\; As I dont have a fairing, I have not really looked at how they are run on an 08 w/ABS...But, if the line enters the fairing like it did on the 07s, then you may just find that you have enough slack.&nbsp\\; There is always the option of running the line outside the fairing??????&nbsp\\; Only looking at it closely could answer that question....depends on how far the hard line portion runs and how much of a bend the would necessitate to run outside the fairing.&nbsp\\; You want to be able to take the forks lock to lock w/o pinching the line or kinking it.&nbsp\\; If you look at the line it is significantly smaller in diameter and stiffer than a normal brakeline...pinching it or kinking it would probably bust the line in short order....not good.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This site is down but call me. They have excatly what you are looking for.
&nbsp\\;
http://johnnyvaughn.com/

Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM
JJAA
Cruiser

I did the change on a Road King, bought W0508.
No length issue for the brake line.
... but wires were too short though Wild 1 Inc told me there would'n need to modify a single thing... [:@]

Don't wish you same surprise.
Take care,

Jean-Jacques

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Bluerose here on the board had a cable made for her scoot.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend with 08 Ultra with ABS just added the Khrome Werks Sweeper +2 bars to his bike with no mods except for +4 clutch cable. Unless you get some real funky bars you want need anything else. There is slack for the TBW in the fairing. DAWG has ABS on his and didn't have to change any brake lines.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
CasperHD
Advanced

I actually got input from Dawg, but I didn't realize he had ABS.&nbsp\\; I forgot to mention&nbsp\\;to the dealer that I had ABS&nbsp\\;until they asked.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The dealer will&nbsp\\;make a new brake line if needed.&nbsp\\; They do it on other custom jobs.&nbsp\\; Hopefully they'll try&nbsp\\;to fit the stock line&nbsp\\;first&nbsp\\;to save me some money.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'm glad&nbsp\\;people are saying they didn't have to change anything but the clutch cable though.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
yardstick,
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the info.&nbsp\\; I just took off the fairing a week ago, but I didn't think of checking the slack on anything.&nbsp\\; I guess I know what I'm doing this week.&nbsp\\; I'll take more pictures this time for my own future reference!&nbsp\\;