Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 stator grommet leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
430 scud
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 stator grommet leak

I have been a lurker for a while,figured I should say hi before I start asking questions.any way I bought an 05 flhtpi in may of 06.Awsome bike,handles great,love it.but I have a slight leak at the stator grommet.dealer says I may need anew stator,due to the fact that the grommet is part of the harness.I tried to slow it down with rtv,but that only worked for a week or so.any body have the same problem?My plan is to slow it down until winter then I will replace it myself.last question,who makes the best aftermarket specialty tools?thanks Dan.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 05 stator grommet leak

Yes, I had exactly the same problem.&nbsp\\; The real problem is that the HD regulator/rectifier doesn't shut down when the battery is fully charged, it just sends the excess juice to the ground.&nbsp\\; After long rides, and lots of miles that stator grommet will get hot, and actually harden and shrink.&nbsp\\; You need a true rectifying regulator.&nbsp\\; One that shuts off once the battery is fully charged, and then comes back on as needed.&nbsp\\; Best one is Cycle Electric.&nbsp\\; Oh, and you do need to replace the stator to completely fix that leak at the plug.&nbsp\\; But, if you put it up on the jack and make sure the engine is cool, and spray it good with brake cleaner, then scrub it with a nylon brush to make sure it's all clean around it you can delay the inevidible.&nbsp\\; Then take some high temp silicone and completely surround the plug against the inner primary, it will seal, and it will hold for up to a year.&nbsp\\; The key is letting it set up for at least 48 hours.&nbsp\\; Regardless of what it says on the silicone tube, DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE FOR 48 hours after doing this.&nbsp\\; I just made it an annual winter event until I got fed up and put a new stator and regulator, both from Cycle Electric.&nbsp\\; It's all good now, and I've got 63,000+ on it.&nbsp\\; Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

BShd has a good suggestion. Also allow the brake clean to dry for 4 or more minutes. I own all Georges tools except I do not think he or anyone else makes the fly wheel puller. If you have the 45 amp which the police bike should have, the magnetic pull is gang-busters. I would suggest to try to find the tool or what I did was put a snugly fitting cap on the threads or tape it with electrical tape. I used the two long bolts from my puller set, about 8 inch, pulled slow and easy not to hit the stator with the magnets. Putting it on was about the same, just be ready for when the magnets start pulling so you don't slam it against the stator. If I had to do it over again, I would beg borrow or steal the tool. even being careful, Hitting is inevitable when&nbsp\\;putting the rotor on. Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
430 scud
6th Gear

Thanks for the info,Im sure I will be resealing it again soon.Iwill wait 48 hrs to ride this time.Look like i will also be replacing the stator and regulator this winter.Thanks again for&nbsp\\;all your help.Dan.&nbsp\\;