Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership careless???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Hounddogee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stealership careless

You gotta tell them.If it stems from the top as lots of things do you gotta tell them and don't use them again if the reply is not to your satisfaction.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

At least they didn't put your tires on backwards, ...did they? I've had that happen.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
That they did right.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Maybe that is because it has a big "FRONT" and "REAR" embedded into the sidewall with arrows&nbsp\\;[:@]&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I say NO more weed breaks for working techs.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The kid that worked on my bike looked like an 18 year old stoner fresh outta high school - maybe.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

After probably 3-400,000 miles on HD's and some JAP screamers, I've learned one thing that we've all heard, "If you want it done right, do it yourself"....&nbsp\\; I know, sounds simple, and guess what, IT IS!!!&nbsp\\; Go get a manual and learn how to do your own maintenance.&nbsp\\; Oh, and make a friend of the head Tech or wrench, take him a case once in a while, and pick his brain.&nbsp\\; Well worth it, and you'll always know it's safe and done right.&nbsp\\; CCRyder

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For simple oil, tire changes, and maintenance, the new guy just out of mechanics school is given the job.&nbsp\\; I'm not saying all are bad, just inexperienced and careless.&nbsp\\; Today, kids who are placed in job with responsibilty, just don't have the same "Pride" in their work.&nbsp\\; The shops are eager to push their techs to get the bike "In" and "Out" of the shop.&nbsp\\;

This makes for sloppy work.&nbsp\\; I won't even purchase a bike from the Stealer any more.&nbsp\\; I have purchased from E-bay with excellent results.&nbsp\\; As far as wrenching, go get a manual and read, read, read....

If this is not your area, find a good Indy in your area.&nbsp\\;

Good Luck....&nbsp\\;

Stay away from the STEALER.....

Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience is that if you give the dealer (any dealer) too much time they do not focus on your machine. The use it as a way to fill in for down time for whatever tech is available. They love it, but since it is bouncing from tech to tech no ONE person knows what is going on.

I have had this problem with automobile dealers too.

So I generally tell them that I am going to wait for the service to complete (so they get right on it) and then step out for lunch :-)

Phil

Old 07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Bottomed out my FXDL on our way to Sturgis in 05 and the corner of oil pan was ripped off.&nbsp\\; (Thanks to the Ill DOT&nbsp\\;for such fine work!)&nbsp\\;The next morning towed my baby to Belleville H-D, in Ill.&nbsp\\; Needless to say they didn’t have a oil pan for her and the mechanic come from out back and asks me will it be okay if he took&nbsp\\;the oil pan off a bike they had on consignment (it was a 02 FXDL with less than 1k on it).&nbsp\\; I told him that it was okay with me, he talked it over with his mgr and it was a done deal within 2 hours and we were back on our way.&nbsp\\; I have only had positive dealings with dealers.&nbsp\\; my .02
Roy
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
TheBagger
Road Master

First dealing with my local dealer and they put my tires on the wrong rims. The tire says 'front mount only' but they put it on the rear rim.&nbsp\\; Pretty hard not to notice which rim has the sprocket on it eh? Lost 2 1/2 hours just hanging around waiting for them to change them back. I won't go back for service unless I absolutely have to, may start checking out a local Indy for tire spins, etc.&nbsp\\; Otherwise I do all my own wrenching.&nbsp\\;

I didn't get offered any compensation or even any swag.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,950 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Do make sure that everything was documented properly so that when your master cylinder paint starts to bubble and look like crap you can go back and have them replace it.&nbsp\\; This just in case the tech didn't wash it off properly.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Dot 5 won't hurt the paint.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO YOUR OWN WORK...That way one of two things will happen. Either you get it right and are satisfied with actually doing something your self...or...you screw it up just as the dealers do and know EXACTLY who to blame.

C'mon guys...MAN UP...do you own work!&nbsp\\; Cheese and rice the service manual explains damn near everything.&nbsp\\; Stop spending 5K on chrome and spen 50$ on the manual and a few tools and do the work your self.&nbsp\\; You will enjoy the satification of a job well done.

Quick Reply: Dealership careless???