Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 416's, what % performance added.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
gsparesa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 416's, what % performance added.

I’m presently using HD’s Reduced Reach seat on my Ultra. I’ve toughened my @ss to reaches of 300 miles with no problems. Butt, after that fatigue wears into the seat of my pants at a rapid rate. We have a guy in our chapter who does auto upholstery. He also modifies motorcycle seats as well. He’s willing to layer my seat with gel and a layer of high-dense foam. He says the high-dense foam will isolate my butt from all the heat that the gel retains. He’s willing to do this for ~$175. I was wondering if replacing my shocks would help to reduce that road jarring that accumulates on my butt. Of course I visited the Progressive Suspension WEB site. Progressive’s 416 and Air Tail models may do the job. I’m not spending over $1000 dollars on my @ss. “Just ain’t goin’ happen.” I’m also not going to add any compressor on my bike. However, the 416’s may be the ticket if they do smooth those constant dips in the road. I have 33,000 miles on my ’04 Ultra. I’m sure that my rear shocks have depreciated in performance after that many miles. Anyone have any idea how much improvement in performance the 416’s would add to my bike. I'm hoping for a 20% improvement. Any one have an experience or suggestions?

I read this on-line on Progressive’s WEB site. They even have a picture of a dog tacking a crap when you view the Air Tail. Now that’s progressive.

Progressive Suspension

416 - The perfect choice for the touring rider who carries a varied load. With perfect sealing surfaces, heavy duty springs, air adjustability and velocity sensitive, multi-stage valving, 416s have become a legend on the road. Standard air fitting is adaptable to most stock air fill systems. $389.95

AIR TAIL IAS - With the revolutionary AirTail I.A.S air suspension system you’ll experience improved handling and better control. AirTail I.A.S. incorporates a coil spring system with dual chambered air shocks for total and independent control of ride firmness. Which can’t hurt on those long rides. Especially if you are out of prunes. The Inertia Active System (I.A.S., duhh) separates wheel movement from chassis movement. You’ll love em. The dog will love em. And so will the bitch on back. $1300

Old 03-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain
Default RE: Progressive 416's, what % performance added.

I have the Progressive 440's on my bike. Great improvement over stock shocks. Wallys Cycle World sells them for $388! I assume you use the Reach seat because you're probably somewhat vertically challenged, as am I. I went with a Mustang seat and lowered shocks-I am very happy. The 12" 440's would provide you with a better ride than stock shocks and would lower you rear an inch from stock and then you could use a more comfortable seat. Just my two cents.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 AM
roadglidin
Cruiser

A Mustang seat is the quickest way to achieve what your looking to do, forget almost anything Harleys selling in the line of seats. (IMO) The front of the Mustang seats are "tapered" narrower, which alot of people dont realise is why they are so spread apart trying to keep the bike upright at stoplights. You'll literally feel like you lowered the bike over an inch without comprimizing handling. Put yours on Ebay. Mustang seats can be had cheap on www.directparts.com .
Shocks: I wouldnt lower them. 33K in 2 years is some serious saddle time, less time with arms folded "admiring" and more time on that horsey riding seems to describe you. My own experience with HD touring models- I wore out stockers on a '98 RK quickly. Spring memory is shot after only @10-15K normal riding. I replaced the stockers with Progressive 440s. Very good shock, but YES it still bottomed out. I found them to be a bit harsh. I wasnt aware of the 416 series airshocks at the time. When I wear out the stockers on my new Roadie I'll be using the 416's myself.
% of improvement? Couldnt tell ya. Good, HONEST working performance article in the MOTORBOOKS WORKSHOP series "101 HD Twin Cam Perf. projects" book. ppg. 92 and 93 on air shock upgrade. The progressive 416's will allow you to maintain the schrader valve and adjust with the progressive handpump, so the airpump install they cover is a non issue.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:29 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

440's