Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

symtoms of fuel filter failure

Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
sdroadglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symtoms of fuel filter failure

for those that had the fuel filter bracket fail what was the warnig signs if any. i have a 08 rg build date of 08/07 it has not failed yet, but there are what i consider unnormal sounds ,such as sounds like sucking sound like a vaccum leak, rough idle, idles funny when coming to a stop sign like its going to die . anybody else have symtoms before failure

Old 07-11-2008, 07:20 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: symtoms of fuel filter failure

Missing, backfires, and skipping, some have had exhaust pipes turn bright orange from the heat.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely none....untill I got ready to leave from work and hit the run switch and the fuel pump pressurization sounded different than usual (Honestly I new right then it had failed) hit the start button and she choked, hacked and backfired and that was it.-Boom
Name:  Copy2ofBoomDaddy.gif
Views: 8478
Size:  50.8 KB&nbsp\\;

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not fail completely, but I was going down the road and heard a 1 second HISSSSSS! (3 different times)Then it took a few more turns to start. When all was well, she fired up as soon as I hit the starter, after the hiss, it would turn over 3 or 4 times to start. I drove it to the dealer, and the pulled the ring and it was indeed cracked, so I was doomed... still waiting for my bike...3 days now.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
IM744
Advanced

Spits Sputters and runs real weak.&nbsp\\; Happened today could see fuel spray when i opened the cap.&nbsp\\; 2350 miles

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

IM744 has the right idea. Pull the gas cap off and look inside with the engine running. If you see fuel spraying in the tank, it's cracked.
&nbsp\\;
Mine was just a little hard to start but ran fine. I was lucky in that it never affected the running of the bike. Just a little harder to start than it should have been.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM
smokin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine died just after me and the wife made it through Deals Gap
Cough, cough - sputter- sputter - pulled over and all it would do was idle - kinda!
Sat by the road for about 2 hours - 20 miles from anywhere and waited for the Wife and our Nephew to get a tow truck
Me, the Street Glide, and a HK 9mm sitting along US129 is just a bad combination.
I had 3 different groups stop to "help" but was able to convince them I was OK as is
After we got home the Dealer loaned me a new SG to finish the weekend and had the bike back to me in 6 days - including over the weekend
Runs great now
$30 part !! Just recall the damn thing and get it over with would you H-D ??
All a GOOD dealer would need to do is write up a Warrenty claim saying it was busted and put a new one in for you. The factory would never question it - they KNOW it's a bogus part. Why aren't the dealers stepping up?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 AM
AASLT101
Advanced

It happened to me two days ago. 08 Ultra (670 miles) that I've had just a little over a week. Luckily I still have my Street Bob.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
IM744
Advanced

Yeah it sucks for me it happened the day before my birthday so i had no birthday ride.&nbsp\\; The wife kept asking why i was so bummed and I told her "because my toy is broken".&nbsp\\; Still waiting on the dealer to fix as this was only on Sat.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
05RKC
Intermediate

HOG's built between May 6,07 and December 11, 07 need to check the fuel filter it may crack losing fuel pressure. Mine was that case, the dealer repaired it and for some reason my bike got it's kick back - Immediately I noticed the regained power. Call your dealer they know about it

Last edited by 05RKC; 08-12-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: more info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: symtoms of fuel filter failure