Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My radio ignores the volume down button on the handlebar and on the tourpac sometimes. When it acts up, I can turn the volume up, but not down. I don't believe it's the switch because I can't turn the volume down with either switch control. Of course, when I take it in, it works fine. Also, how many of you have a hard time seeing the display at night? Mine seems to be kind of faint, even with the contrast/display all the way up.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
crewzerdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amarzano
I have an '08 FLHX and haven't loss the sound - but seem to have lost all the icons on my display. The display lights up (red/orange) - but doesn't display anything.
Any suggestions? I'm going to pop by the dealer - but thought I would ask if it's something simple..

Thanks!
I have an 06 FLHX and my display is also red/orange and doesn't display anything. It has a history of doing this after it is exposed to moisture. For a couple of years the display would resume working but after the warranty expired it quit and has been red/orange for several months. I have tried adjusting the contrast and that didn't work, there is a proceure in the manual for contrast adjustment. I don't intend to spend much money on it. I plan on trying to fix it myself and if I can't just do without or buy a different brand CD/radio.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have had three distinct problems. First was that I put a CD in and it wouldn't give it back, stuck. Sooo, rode like that for a while and just used the MP3 player plugged into the aux jack only to have the whole unit decide to quit working. Had it replaced under warranty and all was good until the left front speaker quit. Pulled the fairing and the magnet had fallen off the speaker. Replaced that too and all is good for now, but the bike is now out of warranty so any additional problems will result in me buing a marine grade head unit and replacing the entire HK unit.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 PM
amarzano
Novice

that would be great! I will try to guess it out tonight - but if you could let me know I would appreciate it.

Alex

Originally Posted by ImGlideN
Amarzano
Sounds like you may just have a contrast issue with your stereo display. I messed up mine unknowingly. Contrast can be adjusted by pushing in the volume control on handle bar switch until you get to "Display". But if you can't read your display you will have no indication when your in the "display contrast adjustment" mode. I think you need to press the volume control 4 or 5 times? 1 - bass, 2 - treble, 3 -volume, "4 - display". I think that's the order. I'll check mine and get back to you.

Ride Safe!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same F#^*ING problem

I have an 07 Street Glide having the same problem. I didn't see what you are riding, you say they covered it twice under warranty? I'm just wondering if I can get them to do the same for me.
I thought it may have been a bare wire or something just got the fairing off and everything is good. I turned on the head unit and let it play, about ten minutes later it started the cutting in and out. Riding yesterday it drove me crazy. Let me know how you made out since the last replacment.

Originally Posted by bk5
Is anyone having problems with the Harmon Kardon Radio Losing Output of Sound? I am on my second radio with the same problem. All is well riding down the highway and the sound just goes away! Flick the speaker switch on the dash and the sound comes back. It might operate properly for another 20 miles or it might go off after just a mile. I am running the Hawg wired amps to power all speakers and do not believe this is the problem. It appears to be an output problem on the HK Radio. Just looking for Help!!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 PM
anaquin
Advanced

I just bought an '06 SG and the sound just shut off on me last evening, and I haven't been able to get any sound out of it at all. Everything seems to be working other than the sound. I started the stereo in diagnostic mode and it shows an Open Speaker Error. I just don't have any idea what that is.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I had a similar problem when I tried to hook up an amp with new speakers. I used butt connectors for all my audio connections. The right side would not work! Put it back to stock, and it still did not work. I used butt connectors to re-attatch radio speaker leads to the speaker wire, so I could re-use factory speaker connection. When I took it to the dealer to see if I hurt the radio, they said it's fine, you have to get rid of the butt connectors, they cause to much resistance. Use solder and shirnk rap for all electrical work! Well guess what? The radio works fine! All redone with solder and shrink rap.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HK on my 2006 SG crapped out 2 months after the waranty expired. All lights and buttons worked but no sound output.

Chucked it all in the trash and got a setup from Biketronics. Under $500 for the head unit, relays so my handlebar controls still work and Hog Tunes speakers.

HD wanted $999 for a replacement HK radio. Sorry, gave up crack smoking a long time ago.

Primo

Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RD GLD
Anyone else have this issue and what did it end up being. I think this is happening to me. It only goes off momentarily and comes back on.
It can also be "over driving" the amp. Typically if any amp heats up past its operating temperature, built in or external, it may shut off until it cools down and then automatically return to playing music.

I've not heard of this happening often with a built in radio/amp, but if you crank it up enough to the point of distortion, it may be over heating.

Just a thought.

Good luck finding the problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx07
Ok, I had a similar problem when I tried to hook up an amp with new speakers. I used butt connectors for all my audio connections. The right side would not work! Put it back to stock, and it still did not work. I used butt connectors to re-attatch radio speaker leads to the speaker wire, so I could re-use factory speaker connection. When I took it to the dealer to see if I hurt the radio, they said it's fine, you have to get rid of the butt connectors, they cause to much resistance. Use solder and shirnk rap for all electrical work! Well guess what? The radio works fine! All redone with solder and shrink rap.
I hear what they told you and it may seem to work, but I've never heard of butt connectors "adding" resistance. I've used them for years without problems in low, medium and high end installs..........This info. is just for your reference.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon Radio Problems