Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP 103" stage II. Worth it?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How much HP 103"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; stage II. Worth it?

ORIGINAL: nmfxstc

Rode a stock 96"...yeah, the 103" factory job is worth it...tune it!
I agree, the stock 96 does not have enough over the 88 to spend the money. What it DOES have, is a much cheaper upgrade path to 103. Which is why I got mine. The 6 speed was a bonus, although again, that alone would not have swayed me. The SE 103 is not the firebreather than some aftermarket kits can be, but its a nice boost over stock, and keeps the warranty as much as it can be if done correctly, which is prior to delivery on the bike.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM
zbaber
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike has the "stage 1 103" kit" ( its an 07 FLHP, factory 103 cylinders and SE flat top pistons, same as 103 stage one kit), a V&H Pro Pipe, and the SE "high flow air breather", and the stage one 103" download

I made 79.5hp / 95.3ft. lbs, thats SAE corrected hp, i made 82hp / 98 ft. lbs. without the SAE correction factor.

I'm installing SE 255 cams this weekend, and those should put me at around 88-90hp / 105tq corrected.

The SE components can make good power, most of their "kits" dont put out what they should though. Its all in the tune, Harleys SERT downloadable maps suck. Spending the 2-2.5 hours on the dyno makes all the diff. Exhaust plays a major part as well. True duals suck for making big power, they are miles ahead of using the stock headpipes though.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
monkish
Road Master

You do not have to go after market to get performance. The right combination of Screaming BEAGLE parts will get good results with the right tune. Head work is a good thing or the SE High Flow heads with the kit. I love mine.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the Stage II setup with my original heads reworked with porting and polishing along with a little valve work and Im very happy with the performance I get. 101tq 92hp

Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bald1der
I went to my local dealer yesterday to inquire about getting a 103" stage 2 kit done to my bike when it gets delivered.&nbsp\\; He was trying to get me to go a different route with head work, aftermarket parts and everything, but I'm trying to stay within the bounds of my factory and extended warranty.&nbsp\\; How much more power can I expect to get from the factory 103 kit.&nbsp\\; Is it worth getting.&nbsp\\; Since I'm new to Harleys I thought getting the extended warranty would be a safe bet.&nbsp\\; What are your thought??.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the help.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
ps I was going to do exhaust and ECM/Power Commander also.
Bald1der,
Thank you for your service to our country! I appreciate your sacrifice!

I'm about 6 weeks (roughly) from taking delivery of my '09 Ultra. Before I take delivery, my dealer will be doing a 103 Stage III kit on my bike (along with a number of other goodies. ). I looked at a few Dyno sheets for bikes they had already done (TC96 motors, FLHTCU bike, 1 '09, 2 '08's) and for me, living in Colorado, the Stage III kit was the way to go. The Torque curve fits perfectly with the normal operating range for riding in CO.

I spent about 4 months doing research, considering my options and was initially going to do the 103 Stage II, but after looking at the Stage III dyno curves and talking to 1 owner @ the dealership that had it done, I was convinced. The 103" motor will give you enough HP and Torque to get after it plenty good, while not killing fuel economy too bad and will also be cooler than the 110" motor. Once the bike is done and I have taken possession, I'll scan my dyno run(s) and post 'em.

Running the Stage II, with the additional add-on's you are considering, will give you a decent amount of torque (the real 'mover' for the bike) and a little bump in HP.

Just my opinion, hopefully it helps! Good Luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
zbaber
Advanced

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Bald1der,
Thank you for your service to our country! I appreciate your sacrifice!

I'm about 6 weeks (roughly) from taking delivery of my '09 Ultra. Before I take delivery, my dealer will be doing a 103 Stage III kit on my bike (along with a number of other goodies. ). I looked at a few Dyno sheets for bikes they had already done (TC96 motors, FLHTCU bike, 1 '09, 2 '08's) and for me, living in Colorado, the Stage III kit was the way to go. The Torque curve fits perfectly with the normal operating range for riding in CO.

I spent about 4 months doing research, considering my options and was initially going to do the 103 Stage II, but after looking at the Stage III dyno curves and talking to 1 owner @ the dealership that had it done, I was convinced. The 103" motor will give you enough HP and Torque to get after it plenty good, while not killing fuel economy too bad and will also be cooler than the 110" motor. Once the bike is done and I have taken possession, I'll scan my dyno run(s) and post 'em.

Running the Stage II, with the additional add-on's you are considering, will give you a decent amount of torque (the real 'mover' for the bike) and a little bump in HP.

Just my opinion, hopefully it helps! Good Luck.
We've been getting 91-94hp and 100-105ft. lbs tq out of the 103 Stage 3 kits, stock headpipes, and rinehart slip ons. (those numbers are SAE corrected)

One customer requested a SE Heavy Breather, and it brought the power up to 98 ft. lbs, and 107 ft. lbs tq, with the same 103 Stage 3 kit. Same tune as the others making 91-94/100-105

Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I did the 103 and I like it. May do other stuff, but for now it's good enough esp for riding two up in the Texas hill country.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zbaber
We've been getting 91-94hp and 100-105ft. lbs tq out of the 103 Stage 3 kits, stock headpipes, and rinehart slip ons. (those numbers are SAE corrected)

One customer requested a SE Heavy Breather, and it brought the power up to 98 ft. lbs, and 107 ft. lbs tq, with the same 103 Stage 3 kit. Same tune as the others making 91-94/100-105
Yep, them's about the #'s that I saw on the dyno curves.

I'm putting on a different air cleaner, but it 'should' produce about the same #'s as the SE Heavy Breather. I'm also doing BUB 7 True Duals...

...Should be interesting to see the final dyno curve.

Is it late March / early April yet?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
zbaber
Advanced

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Yep, them's about the #'s that I saw on the dyno curves.

I'm putting on a different air cleaner, but it 'should' produce about the same #'s as the SE Heavy Breather. I'm also doing BUB 7 True Duals...

...Should be interesting to see the final dyno curve.

Is it late March / early April yet?
we installed the same 103 Stage 3 kit in a 2009 dyna wide glide, with a standard SE High flow (not heavy breather) same motor, only change was instead of stock bagger headpipes and slip ons, the dyna got V&H big shot staggered's.

The dyna made 102hp / 109 ft. lbs tq. its amazing how much better a decent exhaust flows than stock headpipes and slip ons.

I want to see a Stage 3 kit with a heavy breather and a good 2-1 pipe.. I bet 105-107 hp could be obtained

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a HQ500 cam a Fatcat wQuiet baffle and a big sucker and got 90hp and 93 torq from a 96".
It flat runs good!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much HP 103" stage II. Worth it?