Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP 103" stage II. Worth it?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a 103" Stage IV on a Fat Bob, just rolled in to me today and started to break it in. Obviously, I don't have dyno numbers yet, but I plan to take it back for tuning and we'll see what it gets.

Initial feel is strong, even though I'm not wicking the throttle. Still, it's a bit twitchy. Only 50 miles on it today, and I'm waiting to see what works itself out during the break-in process.

All covered under warranty, SE cylinders, heads, SE260 cam, pistons, rings, AC, and Rinehart 2-1 pipe. Definitely not a stock feel to it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

103" with V&H Pro Pipe, K&N high flow A/C, HD Race Tuner, Freedom gear drive cams, Fueling Rivera oil pump = a very reliable motor with 104 HP and 113 lb. ft. of torque has been a blast for 47k miles, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Canada and Mexico, too.

By the way, this work has never came into question with the original factory warranty nor the extended service agreement (I got the 7 yr. warranty). I've had it in the shop for warranty work (electrical) a couple of different times. The Magnussen Moss Warranty act says that the failure has to be directly related to the modification in order to void that warranty.

However, that doesn't stop a few of the small dealerships (those who don't have compatent techs) from denying a warranty repair based on mod. It would then be up to you to take them to court to force their hand to show how the mod was directly related. I don't believe a legitamate dealership would give you a hard time.

Attached Thumbnails  How much HP 103" stage II.  Worth it?-my-dyno-sheet.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
zbaber
Advanced

Originally Posted by Open Road
103" with V&H Pro Pipe, K&N high flow A/C, HD Race Tuner, Freedom gear drive cams, Fueling Rivera oil pump = a very reliable motor with 104 HP and 113 lb. ft. of torque has been a blast for 47k miles, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Canada and Mexico, too.

By the way, this work has never came into question with the original factory warranty nor the extended service agreement (I got the 7 yr. warranty). I've had it in the shop for warranty work (electrical) a couple of different times. The Magnussen Moss Warranty act says that the failure has to be directly related to the modification in order to void that warranty.

However, that doesn't stop a few of the small dealerships (those who don't have compatent techs) from denying a warranty repair based on mod. It would then be up to you to take them to court to force their hand to show how the mod was directly related. I don't believe a legitamate dealership would give you a hard time.
good numbers, what are the specs on the cams?? any headwork?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
zbaber
Advanced

Originally Posted by wbeem
I did a 103" Stage IV on a Fat Bob, just rolled in to me today and started to break it in. Obviously, I don't have dyno numbers yet, but I plan to take it back for tuning and we'll see what it gets.

Initial feel is strong, even though I'm not wicking the throttle. Still, it's a bit twitchy. Only 50 miles on it today, and I'm waiting to see what works itself out during the break-in process.

All covered under warranty, SE cylinders, heads, SE260 cam, pistons, rings, AC, and Rinehart 2-1 pipe. Definitely not a stock feel to it.
did you do the "race" version stage 4 with the 58mm throttle body?? we've installed a few of those so far and they LOVE higher rpms. would be really fun on any dyna platform. not really enough low end tq for a bagger in my opinion, but we've put one on an ultra and it ran pretty good.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by zbaber
good numbers, what are the specs on the cams?? any headwork?
No, the heads haven't been off the bike, stock compression, stock heads.

The cams are from Freedom Cycles and they're a bolt in for the 103" motor. In other words, the heads don't have to come off. Head work is not necessary to get both numbers up over 100. Who ever says that doesn't know motors. My goal was to get the performance but to keep the reliability of a stock motor..........and not have warranty issues at the time of need.

It's the YB14SEC Click on this link....scroll down and you'll see them..... http://www.freedomcyclereno.com/esho...ve_Cam_Kit.htm

Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Bobberino
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found some where online where they were havin a sale on those SE 103 stage 1 kits for half the price, but now am at a lost to where they were. I have the extended warranty, 2 years, and really dont wanna ruin it, but am soo very tempted to do something. I wanna feel what that torque everyones talkin about. I wanna pass that guy on that sport bike with no problem, but thinking doin that might be too much and if I did wanna go that fast, i shoulda went with a crotch rocket.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
BobcatBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this post...I read all the threads...the info I gather here is free...now if only the 103 mod's were too!! bcb

Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I like mine well enough that it would be very difficult for me to go back to riding a stock bike.

I never got to ride mine while it had the stock heads and flat top pistons AND tuned properly. The guy I found that tuned it right put the SE 103+ heads and domed pistons in it and then tuned it. I guess I didn't want to pay for the tune twice or just wanted to make myself feel I had justified the 100 mile trip to have some work done.

I am very happy with the way it runs, but I wish I would've ridden the bike a bit with a good tune and then decided if the performance heads and pistons were really worth it. I gained over 10 hp and tq, but I have no idea how much of that came from a proper tune and how much was the heads and pistons.

Dennis

Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
dkatko
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rochkes
I like mine well enough that it would be very difficult for me to go back to riding a stock bike.

I never got to ride mine while it had the stock heads and flat top pistons AND tuned properly. The guy I found that tuned it right put the SE 103+ heads and domed pistons in it and then tuned it. I guess I didn't want to pay for the tune twice or just wanted to make myself feel I had justified the 100 mile trip to have some work done.

I am very happy with the way it runs, but I wish I would've ridden the bike a bit with a good tune and then decided if the performance heads and pistons were really worth it. I gained over 10 hp and tq, but I have no idea how much of that came from a proper tune and how much was the heads and pistons.

Dennis
Who did your tune?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Scott Hunter at Wabash HD in Terra Haute, In. They gave me a flat rate price of $280 no matter if it took one hour or twenty. He won't let a bike leave the dyno until it is right. He has many satisfied customers that drive over 100 miles and request that he is the one that is to do the tune.

He even did a dyno break in at no extra charge so it could be ready to go as soon as I picked the bike up.

They really treated me right there.

Dennis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much HP 103" stage II. Worth it?