Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stolen Bikes

I just read a post about a reader DI95 getting his bike stolen in Myrtle Beach and was wondering how many other people have gotten their bike stolen and what type of security they were using when they were stolen. I am picking up a new bike next week and want to make sure it stays mine for a while. I know if the scum buckets really want it they are going to get it but maybe with a little insight I can make it harder for them. Has anyone had their alarms or pagers go off and actually catch someone fking with their ride?

Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stolen Bikes

I heard it's not a common thing at bike rallies. Although Bert Baker, of Baker Drivetrains, started his VERY successful business as a result of his bike being stolen at Daytona. We have had a rash of HS's stolen in my area lately. All of them were taken from private home garages, reportedly had their forks locked, and some stated they had alarms on them.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

I friend of mine had a show bike that was in Easyriders magazine and it was stolen a few years back in Daytona. This happened right in the middle of the rally while he was eating lunch!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

The obvious is the most unobvious. Rallies usually people have one guy watching the bikes. Bikes always get stolen at the rallies.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:49 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

We forget - this is the bad guys "Job" and a lot of them do their job very well - If you have been riding a HD's for more than a day you know what it takes to lock the ing - right.. So, could you sit at a rally and watch people pull up and park their bikes, get off and walk away.... by just watching, you know if the ing is locked or not - right.... This is how most bikes are stolen... Also,,, a van with 4 big guys can pick up your bike and be gone in seconds.. This is what they practice and some are really fast.... I refuse to carry a 10 pound chain.. I lock my ing and use a disk lock and hope for the best... All I can do is make the bike next to mine easier to steel and just maybe the bad guys will move on - if they Really want my bike - I am probably "toast" anyway.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of vans, some of these clowns have custom theivery vans built just for snagging bikes - espically at rallies.

I know someone that saw a van back "around" a bike, by opening the back doors and essentially swallowing the bike inside. They must have cut the floor out and and had some sort of wench(es) inside that allowed them to simply lift the bike off the gound and drive away that fast. He said it took less than 15 seconds! He could not even get from the hotel room down the stairs to it before they were gone.

Dunno how they built the vehicle, what kinda rearend (or lack there of), etc, but if they snag just a couple bikes & sell them they have plenty of $$$ to build whatever they need.

Bottom line.... Bikes dissapear at EVERY Rally! Do what you can to make sure yours is not the easiest one to get and hopefully the b@$t@rd$ will past it up for the next target.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
blueknight
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been to to many rallies to count, big and small ones. Bikes get stolen. If your with someone, chain two bikes together. Whatever you do it can be undone, remember that. Park in areas well lit, maybe near door of bar your at. Watch from window. Carry a lot of insurance. Like posted earlier make bike next to yours look easier, if possible.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:41 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

Paint it flat black. No one will want it then.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhutchison

Paint it flat black. No one will want it then.

Now thats funny[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

But like what has been said, you got to make your bike harder to steal than the one sitting next to yours. But the bottom line, if someone wants to steal it, unless your sitting on it with a gun in your hand..........its a goner[:@]

Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

Anything will help deter, but if they want it, they will get it. In the Myrtle Beach area a favorite MO is a pipe through the front end and and two people can walk away. Park in lighted, crowded, and protected areas. Rhino cable through several bikes is a problem for a thief.
Also, Lo-jack now has applications for motorcycles in some areas.

Quick Reply: Stolen Bikes