Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner seat first impressions from a tall guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
LAXRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner seat first impressions from a tall guy

I'm 6'8, 240.

Bike is a 2003 Road King FLHRI. Thus far other than chrome goodies the relevant upgrades to "Biggie Size" my FLHRI:

Footboard mounts from Indy bought on Ebay - outstanding
HD Footboard relocation kit - bonus points
Kuryakyn extended shifter
Brake - bought an EZ Brake, sits down too low. It's not any longer, it's just rotated forward as compared to stock... I still have my stock brake arm on.
HD +2" windshield - nice.
Put on HD backrest kit - had to notch the back of the front seatpan to get it to work - wasn't ideal, but "good enough".

On rides over an hour, was getting some undesired numbness in the place us guys don't like numbness. Something had to change (with the bike). Going out to CO in September and I needed some comfort...

Spoke with Mustang -they told me their saddle would move me forward as compared to stock, so I avoided that potential headache (or lower).

Was using stock seat until the Sundowner showed up - 51617-99C Touring Bucket or Deep Bucket, depending on whose descriptions you read. Got it from SaukCity HD off of ebay, good price, had the seat in like less than two days. Talk about nearly instant gratification - big kudos to Deanna.

Overall impression is that I sit lower, but no farther forward than stock. It's wide, feels like a bucket seat. Looks a little different than stock due to the width, that'll take a little getting used to. Wife likes the looks of the wider-than-stock passenger portion of the seat.

Hope to take a long ride this weekend, will provide updates if relevant.

Bonus points for using the back rest kit as it was intended...

LAXRoadKing

Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'5" and I hated the sundowner on my SG. I got the tallrider seat. I have made a few 300 mile days and all is good so far.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'0" and a 31" inseam the seat is border line for me. I guess for long trips I'll live with it but need more leg room around town. I will admit you will not get saddle soar from this seat.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
geeded
Cruiser

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and pushing 300 (I know, I need to lose weight, sigh). The Sundowner on my Son's '08 RKC and is certainly different than the stock seat. He has the HD backrest, and with that on, the seat feels like it pushes me forward compared to stock. However, the backrest feels great on my back. Riding w/o the backrest and the seat feels like I'm farther back than stock or at least than with the backrest installed. It is much more comfortable (to me) than the stock seat. I can ride a couple of hours and not feel like my posterior is going to fall off. When my '09 arrives, I'm going to have Russell modify my seat to fit me and so what if it looks strange.

Your mileage may vary. Cheers, Geeded

Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
smittydog27
Advanced

I am 6'4, 270 lbs.....I had a sundowner on my wideglide that I liked very much. I was at the dealer today and the 'new' heritage bars are on backorder until Sept 17th (also buying heated grips). So, in the spirit of giving money to my HD dealer, I ended up getting a Sundowner for my RG. I will get the chance to test it out next week. I hope I have the same results you do. Man, is that passenger seat big or what????
I was hoping to get a solo version, but I don't think they will make it for just one model year run (08).

Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 PM
hdatontodo
Advanced

I've used both HD and Mustang seats, and I still seem to need my AirHawk pad. It is made by Roho who makes medical air pads. I found if you don't put just the right amount of air it in, it isn't as comfortable. Some places sell for less than the $$ normal price.

Tony
http://www.tontodonato.com

Old 08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
iann8ik
Tourer

i'm only 5'10" with 30-31" inseam. the Sundowner is great for me. just got back from Sturgis. 4,600 miles over 11 days. two 630 mile days. no probs at all. daughter did great riding bitch also. but we did get her some Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs for the return trip that made her ride alot nicer.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Big Jake
Tourer

I had a Sundowner on my RKC when I bought it and hated it. Pushed me too far forward. Felt like I was resting my junk on the tank. Switched to the Corbin Hollywood Solo. Puts me back and lower which is nice for me.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my Sundowner Solo the other day and returned it two miles later. Super comfy but pushed me way forward, at least 2". And I'm only 5'8-9" with a 30" inseam.
Big Jake, how is that Corbin Hollywood Solo after an hour or more? I was thinking of that seat.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 AM
LAXRoadKing
Cruiser

I think it's strange to hear posts saying that the Sundowner either felt like it moved them a mile forward or that it was close to stock. That's gotta be due to the multiple models available? What else could it be? The Classic model vs the standard?

Can anyone verify? Because if mine had moved me 1 millimiter forward, I would've noticed...

I considered the Tallboy, but didn't want to be up any higher (above my +2" windshield).

Quick Reply: Sundowner seat first impressions from a tall guy