Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please with Molex Connectors, 07 FLHRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Please with Molex Connectors, 07 FLHRS

I have been reading up on how to internally run the wires for my beach bars I am installing on my 07 road king. I had just finally understood how to disassemble the deutsch connectors, and then I realized they switched to Molex connectors in 07'.

Yeah, now I have no idea how to disassemble these connectors, and after reading and searching around this forum for about 2 hours, I still have not been able to come across any how to's or write ups on the disassembly.

I got ready to disassemble my connectors, label them, and run them through the bars, now I don't know how to disassemble these new connectors.

Thanks a million to anyone that can help me out. I'd love to finish this up and get back out and ride.

I have my service manual in the mail, but mainly am wanting to get this done since I know basically what I need to do.

So, to ANYONE that knows how to disassemble a molex connector and reassemble it without destroying it, please let me know.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

They look to be the same connectors that are used in computers, etc.
An awl, or a pic is usefull in pushing back the small tab that keeps the pins in the housing. Look real close at the connector pins, and see what I mean.
They have special pin extractor tools, but a pic will work fine.
Just be careful, those tabs can only be bent one or 2 times, and they will break off, then you have to crimp on a new pin. I would get some spare male and female pins t have around in case this happens.
Rags

Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I did this over a year ago on my rg, I ordered the molex tool but I did the job before it came in the mail. What I remember is;
1. unpluginng the rite/left harness' at the plugs. WARNING BEFORE YOU PULL PINS, WRITE A SCHEMATIC, ESPECIALLY MARK THE GUIDE TABS SO YOURE NOT 180* OFF. BEST IS IF YOU HAVE THE OEM DIAGRAM.
2. there is a lock on the back of the plugs (wire inlets), open this and you can slide the silicone seal plug up the wires towards the harness you may need to retract the loom for space. Then with a small needle nose you can remove the plastic/fiber wire separator on the pin side of the plug, by gently pulling it off.
3. Then get an electronic pin release tool to unlock the wires and gently pull them out thru the harness side of the plug. Be careful not to break the lock or the pins or you WILL have electrical issues you wish you never had done this job. I have a snap on tool, a GM tool even a small paper clip may work to release the pin locks.
4. Now you should be able to pull the wires thru the bars.

GOING BACK TOGETHER;
I found the easiest way for me was to;
1. Slide the silicon seal back, push all the wires thru there respective holes.
2. pull as far thru the pin side of the plug as you can w/o damaging anything.
3. Start placing the correct pin thru the fiber/plastic wire separator.
Now that theyre in the right holes, gently work the separator back in till it clicks. If you twisted any wires on the harness side you will have trouble closing everything up correctly, so make sure the inlet wires are straight going in.
That should do it. On a RG I had 28-32 wires on each side so it was a pita, now I know why moco charges a grand to do the bar install.
You really need to get a schematic before you start. Hope this helps. Beer time!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys. Amazingly I figured it out. I'll try and do a writeup for future people with the Molex connectors.

After I figured out I had to slide the inner connector forward to unlock the wires, then using a paper clip end, push into the cable directly behind it to release each one, it went like a breeze.

Figuring out that I needed to "unlock" the connectors by sliding the white plate inside about 1/4 of an inch was what I was missing.

So that leads me to my next question. How to I get the wires out of the black turn signal plug? Both turn signals with indentical wiring plug into this socket, which plugs into the harness.

Basically I can't see a way to release the turn signal wiring from thier connector piece like I did with the hand controls. This is my last step before I am able to run the cables in my new handlebar.

Any help on how to disconnect the turn signal wiring?

Thanks!!

Last edited by yoseppi; 08-21-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
stukes_md
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, getting them out was easy. Putting them back in was a B'otch.