Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speaker Crossovers

What do Speaker Crossovers do? Are they needed?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 PM
BigFokker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty simple...a crossover "crosses over" the frequencies that are being fed to each set of speakers...
Plainly put, a full range speaker system typically consists of 3 types of speakers: Highs, Mids and Lows.

High's = Treble
Mids = Mid Bass
Lows = Bass

Picture this in your car. You've got a head unit (stereo), tweeters in the door pillar, 5 1/4 speakers down in the front doors and a 10" subwoofer in the trunk. Each of these sets of speakers has their own amp driving them, so you've got three amps. We'll also add a crossover...

Now the head unit puts out the full range of frequencies (20hz - 20khz). We take that full frequency range output of the head unit and send it to the crossover input. On the crossover, we have controls to split the frequencies. We also have three outputs on the crossover that will feed each of the three amps.

We tell the crossover to seperate the lows (20hz-250hz) and send that range to the subwoofer amplifier. We then tell it to take the mid frequencies (250hz - 7.5khz) and send them to the mids amp and finally tell it to send the high freqs. (7.5khz - 20khz) to the highs amp.
NOTE: Frequency ranges are not exact-just giving an example

You've now successfully crossed over all your frequencies and sent each set of speakers the frequencies that they are supposed to be getting.

To answer the second question of wether or not one is needed..it depends on what you're doing. If it's a simple setup like the head unit on your bike running the four OEM speakers on your bike, I'd say no.
If you're adding an aftermarket amp and changing the OEM speakers for aftermarket speakers that are not full range, then yes.

I could go on and on because this is second nature to me and my line of work, but if I just confused the he** out of you, then feel free to PM me for my number and I'll break it down over the phone for you.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Okay thanks alot.
So since Im only using two fairing speakers and the stock head unit, probably wouldnt make much difference?
Infiniti Kapa's are the speakers.
Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

No not much difference at all. You would only need to use a crossover, if you were going to use a component set on the bike and most all component sets come with a matched cross over. You will be fine.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. I can turn a wrench like nobodies business. Just the electrons wig me out.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
BigFokker
Tourer

I know what you mean, I'm the opposite!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior

i use jl audio componets on my scoot with the crossovers. by using this type of speaker i am able to push more power to the speakers via my amp. check out firecaps arc audio setup before buying the infinities. you may change your mind!