Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to load a Kendon Trailer

Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to load a Kendon Trailer

I just picked a used Kendon single bike trailer. What is the best way to load a 09 Ulta? Before you say it, riding it is not an option this trip.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 AM
kcbwi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not try to ride it up. The guy I bought mine from swore that was the way to do it, but it is damn near impossible and Kendon flatly states it's not the way. I suspect my guy was actually selling it for someone else and had never actually used the trailer himself. If you have an older one like me (2001 model) without the front wheel chock then it's best if you have a helper to hold the bike while you put the tie downs on. If you don't have a helper then I have found you can use a block of wood wedged under the left passenger peg and the trailer deck to hold it while you put the tie downs on (leave the bike in gear while you do this). As far as getting it on the trailer, you can push it up or you can give yourself some relief by walking it up while it's running and in gear. I push mine up, but for most people I think it would be very hard. If you have the old style without the chock, loading and unloading is a white knuckle affair any way you look at it. I just bought the wheel chock to retrofit but haven't tried it yet. Other than loading and unloading, it's a nice trailer.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 AM
johnu
Cruiser

Wonderful trailer. I have many miles on mine taking the bike on business trips with me. Kendon may still sell the add on chock. I did drop a vintage bike on it when cornering one day and the front tie down hook came out of the eye and overpowered the rear tie downs (tied too low on the bike) and even the chock did not keep it upright!!!!

Velcro the tie down hooks to the eye's so the will not slip out!!!!

Set the cruise and forget about it.
JU

Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kendon trailers

I have had a 05 Kendon trailer for several years and trailer often to my vacation home in the south. 1. the optional center chuck is a must if your towing solo I was tearing up tires cupping even wear when towing on left or right side. 2.the ramp is crap and very hard to work with several times it has kick out loading or unloading use a strap to hold into place. 3.As a option I purchase a after markect alum folding ramp the width of the trailer I now use this to load and unload I can ride the bike on and off and no longer need help.This ramp also work when loading on left or right side as I can move the ramp letting it hang over giving me a place to put my feet when loading. I then fold ramp and strap to the trailer.
Good look

Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell the hard to load POS and buy one of these.

http://trailmasterinc.com/transport/lowrider.html

Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM
drbillk
Tourer

Interesting, I had a 2001 2-place Kendon. I used to load mine by riding it up... and to avoid uneven wear, I'd put it on the left for the trip to somewhere, and on the right for the trip back home. The two problems I had were the license plate was in the way... I moved it to the back of the optional storage box... and the ramp sucked until I bent the locking tab down further.

The only reason I don't own it any more was because I'm being transferred to South Carolina... going as a Geo-bachelor, and staying in quarters without a garage, so bought a Haulmark enclosed trailer to use as a garage for my bike. Otherwise, I'd still have the Kendon.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
harleybob
Cruiser

I have a 05 elect glide. And a 05 Kendon single trailer. I ride my up on the trailer all the time.I will say at first it bothered me. The worst part is your feet can not touch the ground for about 2 seconds when the bike is just about waiting for the rear tire to be on the level surface The hardest part is getting it out of the wheel chock buy your self. I use 6 tiedowns most people use 4 . This trailer pulls like a dream.I trailer from Chicago to orlando.And I tighten the straps maybe one time.I would suggest getting the stone guard. Good luck. Bob.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

Great info and I appreciate it. I have a 05 with the wheel chok, so I think I am good to go. 6 ties it is and thanks.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM
skypilot101
Intermediate
Default Loading a Kendon Dual

I have a 2002 Kendon Dual Rail Standup. Loading my Softail Custom seemed like a challenge, but walking it up, engine running, and using the clutch, seemed like a damn good way to drop it, and maybe on me. And I needed to load/unload alone.

I was going to buy a ramp that went across the entire back, but before dropping 200 to Discount Ramps, I first cut a 40x36" piece of 3/4 plywood and attached it to the bottom of the ramp with a couple 3/8 carriage bolts, using the same holes that attach the ramp to the trailer when stowed. Then I just rode the bike up into the self-locking chocks. No big deal at all. The plywood just offers a place to touch your feet, mostly unloading, and provides a little "security blanket". I load/unload it on either side, all alone, without the slightest problem. I can throw the plywood in the truck under the coolers, etc.

Those chocks hold the bike rock solid while I get the straps together, etc. the bike sits perfectly upright and I test-shook it. It didn't budge. By the way, two bikes fit side-by-side. No problem.

Here's a couple pix to show what I did.

Attached Thumbnails How to load a Kendon Trailer-162723_1665639953523_1012997296_1906877_6023810_n.jpg   How to load a Kendon Trailer-156696_1665633993374_1012997296_1906854_6468689_n.jpg   How to load a Kendon Trailer-65747_1665621033050_1012997296_1906828_8331228_n.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
skypilot101
Intermediate
Default Kendon Trailer Loading, plus some related stuff

A few more pix, plus some related info about the Kendon trailer purchase, are on my blog. Andi if you're remotely interested, some of the older blog posts chronicle a 3,100 mile ride across the Southeastern US last summer, plus some other East Coast Biker rallies.

http://cowboyken.blogspot.com/2010/1...-are-true.html

Happy Holidays!
Cowboy!

Last edited by skypilot101; 12-21-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to load a Kendon Trailer