Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't buy woods cams!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
tda69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well duh! Anybody with half a brain should know that wood cams wouldn't hold up. All that metal to wood grinding... Besides that sawdust really makes a mess!

Couldn't resist.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
So you are trashing the cams, and not the moron that did the work on your bike?

Take the bike to a rear wrench, and then to a real tuner.

Steve
+1 Only 'bad' thing I've ever heard about Woods cams is...... Uh, NOTHING! I have heard many things about bad tuners though. Sounds like the folks wrenching on your bike don't have much of a clue

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's funny!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I hear everyone echoing the same thing its the dealer (tuner) however the dealer contacted Bob Woods himself and Mr Woods said it's the throttle by wire on the new 08's. Thats from the horses mouth, so what else can you say or do?
Spend more of my own money getting these tuners that have there own shop to try and fix. Nah don't think so.
However I didn't get one reply as to what I can do about contacting someone from Harley or is that not an option?
I want to know how I can get the dealer to put the bike back to stock or change the cams or pay for me to try another tuner somewhere.
Its all very frustrating and I'm sick of the whole deal.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange. I had the TW7-H in my 08 Road Glide with a high output 103" and no problems whatsoever.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

So what I am hearings that the Super Tuner is not as adjustable as the old race tuners?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Call HD of Atlanta and see if they will warranty it, I bought my 06 used from and i had a problem with my front rotors and they fixed it under warranty and brakes are not covered!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
bluebagger06
Tourer

Originally Posted by timbakersr
Yea, I hear everyone echoing the same thing its the dealer (tuner) however the dealer contacted Bob Woods himself and Mr Woods said it's the throttle by wire on the new 08's. Thats from the horses mouth, so what else can you say or do?
Spend more of my own money getting these tuners that have there own shop to try and fix. Nah don't think so.
However I didn't get one reply as to what I can do about contacting someone from Harley or is that not an option?
I want to know how I can get the dealer to put the bike back to stock or change the cams or pay for me to try another tuner somewhere.
I wouldn't count on any help from harley since you are using a aftermarket cam.Also don't think your dealer will PAY you to take it to another tuner.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Harley is going to tell you that the installation of Woods cams was your decision and that it can't be held responsible for someone modifying an engine with third party parts while under factory warranty. Your issue has to be with the person or persons you hired to install the cams. Even if they are Harley dealers, Harley has no control over their decision to install Woods cams. They should put the heat on Woods if that's where the problem lies. Sounds like they tried and Woods is pointing a finger at the throttle mechanism.

You don't say what grind of cams you got. YOu also don't talk about whether the performance was to your liking, which is a lot more important than muffler explosions. But is it possible that the cams are hotter than what you really need in an otherwise stock system? If so, you're going to get a really rough running engine that won't make peak torque until you wind it up, if then. So cam grind selection could be part of the problem. Cams need to be selected with the kind of riding you plan to do and not what people on the street say because usually they are talking about high performance engines with souped up compression ratios and head work. In many cases that is BS.

If the dealer selected these cams you may have a good argument that they made a mistake and should swap them out for proper cams or put the whole thing back together again and be happy with stock, which really is quite nice with the 96 engine.

If the Woods are gear-driven cams then going back to stock will require you to reinstall all of the chain assembly, sprocket and hydraulic-tensioner system. Hope the dealer saved the parts.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by timbakersr
1. Which Woods cams are you using?

2. Why not call Mr. Woods and speak to him yourself. Frankly, I'm shocked to the point of disbelief that a Woods bolt-in cam won't work well in an '08 FBW touring bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: don't buy woods cams!