Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes Squeaking at 4,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:39 AM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes Squeaking at 4,000 miles

So, my rear brakes on my Street Glide are squeaking loudly. I started hearing it at 4,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
bluesbrother07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Yes! I have a 2013 street glide and took it in at 2000 miles for this. They said its normal and must have sprayed something on the pads cause it was quiet for the first 50 miles after. Then welcome back!

Last edited by bluesbrother07; 05-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 AM
aarc68
Cruiser

Yes. Very loud. After about 3000 miles. Had it checked the dealership said it was normal. They recommend I hold the rear break while rideing down the road to break in the pad. Tried it once, breaks and gas don't go together. Didn't help the sound either.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Had it on mine after buying it but wore in after awhile.....give it a blast of compressed air to blow away the break dust. I plan to go with a cleaner pad at 15k, cant tell if all the **** that gets all over my bags is normal r ad dust or the pads?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Disc brake squeal is and has been a common complaint since the advent of disc brakes. It's annoying, but isn't really hurting a thing, and actually is (here comes the dreaded words) quite normal. The squeal you hear is actually a high frequency vibration between the pads and the caliper pistons. The best way to try to eliminate the squeal is to remove the pads and apply some anti-noise compound to the backside of the pads, clean the rotors, and clean or replace the pads. If that doesn't work then there's not much else that can be done short of replacing parts and crossing your fingers.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser

Remove pads and lightly file the leading edge. Be sure to use brake grease on the pins and back side of pad where it contacts the piston. Wouldn't hurt to lightly sand the entire pad with sandpaper.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I think if you rub some axle grease on the disc it will be quite. Make sure sure you smear it all around and on both sides.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Personally, I'd take it to the dealership, if you just have 4,000 miles on it.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Disc brake squeal is and has been a common complaint since the advent of disc brakes. It's annoying, but isn't really hurting a thing, and actually is (here comes the dreaded words) quite normal. The squeal you hear is actually a high frequency vibration between the pads and the caliper pistons. The best way to try to eliminate the squeal is to remove the pads and apply some anti-noise compound to the backside of the pads, clean the rotors, and clean or replace the pads. If that doesn't work then there's not much else that can be done short of replacing parts and crossing your fingers.
+1. I got a set of rear pads once and there was no anti squeal compound with them. I installed the pads and had the squeal. I went to an auto parts store and bought a bottle of anti squeal and put it on the back side of the pads. No more squeal. I saved the templates from the next set of pads so they can be used if I have to apply the compound between pad changes.

So far I haven't had the squeal if I apply the compound.

I also spray the caliper and pistons with brake cleaner and use a toothbrush to scrub all the crud off before installing the new pads.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a FWIW. My 12 UC has done that since it was new. Like others, I took it back, they "cleaned the rotor". For the first 50 miles, it was fine, then sounded like an old school bus when it stopped. At 11K, I took it in to my indy shop for a new rear tire, and while talking to the wrench, he had a suggestion. He said that while the rear wheel was off, that he'd file the leading edge of the brake pads. Just round them over a little bit. Did it fix it for good? I don't know, it's only been 200 miles. But the rear brake is silent now for the first time. I do have a set of Lyndal pads sitting on the shelf though. If it starts squeeling again, I'll put them on and see if THAT might fix it. It is frustrating.....a $20k+ bike sounding like an old beater coming to a stop.

Ride Safe

David

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Squeaking at 4,000 miles