Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide vs Road Glide Fairing/ride impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electra Glide vs Road Glide Fairing/ride impressions

Sorry if this is a redundant issue, but I am looking for more!

I am either going to put an aftermarket fairing on my 2007 RKC, or buy another bike. I really like the windshield and cant see ever riding without it, so I am certain a fairing with gauges, radio and more is in my future. And I like the hard-bags, solo seat look--- So the beautiful RKC is gonna have to change or go---

So, the real question is

Is there a strong noticeable difference in the Road Glide feel and ride vs. the Electra Glide? If there is not a really heavy difference then I may just keep my 07 RKC and modify it.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Road King.
Its not called The King for nothing.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had both, RG and EG.
Why spend the money to change bikes?
Buy a quailty aftermarket batwing fairing and add it to your RKC. You can add a radio to most. There is not a big difference, I enjoyed both but the wife prefers the EGC batwing, less turbulant air for her.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

My bike is a 1990 FLHS, which I bought new. It predates the RK, but had a similar windshield. I didn't get on with it at all. I found it caused turbulence, both over the top round my head and around the sides. The tyres then were not too hot and the bike would weave in some conditions, caused I reckon by that windshield, spilling air out one side then the other. At least that is what it seemed like.

I tried changing tyres for another make, which was worse! Eventually I found a late 1980s glassfibre batwing, which is on the bike as I write. I did make up all the brackets necessary to fit it myself. Even this is not perfect, but it is much better! Glides are a bit like barn doors and there are not many who will write their name and aerodynamics in the same sentence!

Changing bikes seems a big step, when a batwing will probably cost much less than making a change. Have you tried a Glide at your local dealer, to see if you prefer the fairing?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

cheapest and easiest thing is get a bat-wing fairing for your road king.... there is a great difference between the RG, and the EG, with a fixed frame mounted fairing you don't get the side loading from the wind, and the steering seems lighter (less weight on the forks) the bat wing is closer to the rider, and offers better protection against the rain.... Rent each for a week end and then decide, but I'd hate to take that big of a hit on my 07 if I didn't have to... a good fairing with all the bells and whistles would be the way to go... IMHO

Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer your original question, Yes, there is a major difference in the feel and function of the RoadGlide vs batwing fairings. I've owned both and am currently on an '08 Roadglide. This topic has been covered several times, in depth, on this forum. In a nutshell, the Batwing provides much more protection from the wind and rain. The RoadGlide has a much lighter feel to it. I had to change the windshield to get the air control right on my bike. It was terrible with the stock shield on. When I rode my bike home from the dealer after delivery I thought I just made one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Now that I have the windshield and handlebars dialed in I wouldn't trade it for any other bike out there. You really need to test ride each before you drop 20k

Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 2807
Sorry if this is a redundant issue, but I am looking for more!

So, the real question is

Is there a strong noticeable difference in the Road Glide feel and ride vs. the Electra Glide? If there is not a really heavy difference then I may just keep my 07 RKC and modify it.

What do you guys think?
Why not ask guys who have fairings on Road Kings what they think, especially those who have ridden EG's and RG's?

Turning at slow speeds feels crisper with the RG because of the frame mounted fairing compared to the fork mounted EG fairing. But how much time do you spend at slow speed turning the bike? And the EG is very nimble at slow speed turns even with the fork mounted fairing; just more weight felt in the handlebars than the RG.

Personally, I like having the oil pressure, oil temp, and voltmeter gauges on the EG and RG, which may not be available with an aftermarket fairing.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who put a fairing on his RK, and loves it so much it NEVER comes off. He says it was the best thing he did to the bike. It was an after-market brand, don't remember which but I think there are probably several out there. Just another opinion to add.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RKC w/ Fairing and solo

Hey man check this out, its not mine but damn nice

Attached Thumbnails Electra Glide vs Road Glide Fairing/ride impressions-7351_3.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks for the advice-

A local dealer rents both the EG and the RG. I am going to take a little taste test and see. $300 to rent both for 24hrs. Not too bad considering the money and time I will invest in the long run.

If the EG rides close to the RG, then I would expect a similar ride (wind/coverage etc..) from an aftermarket fairing on my RK.

Either way I'll get a chance to try both fairing styles up and down PCH out here along the coast in Southern California... not too bad.

I can sell my 2007 RKC and buy a 2007 RG for about the same, just lateral over.. But the 2009 bikes are very appealing, for more money of course.. We'll see, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Electra Glide vs Road Glide Fairing/ride impressions