Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Fairing Lowers - Pro's and Con's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Fairing Lowers - Pro's and Con's?

I like the look of the Ultra Classic, but did not want to be locked in to a fairing year round. I have added a detachable King Tour Pak and detachable Dead Center Fairing to my 2007 RK.

I am thinking about adding the lower fairings now. Any input would be appreciated.

Vented or not vented?

Worth the expense ($650 retail)?

Can the lower fairings be installed and removed quickly? Any hardware kits available to make the lower fairings a quick on and off job?

Any other comments/advice?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put vented lowers on my 07 EGS and can't see them coming off. I think once you have them it would be hard to do without them.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Tombo359
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one bike with lowers (non-Harley) and an Ultra without the lowers installed. I notice a big difference in the wind pressure on my legs when riding at highway speeds. Of course around town in the summer the extra ventilation without the lowers is nice. I plan on putting the lowers on the Harley as the weather cools down. I saw a quick detach kit for the lowers at the dealer the other day, around $90, I believe. I think if you are going to do any cold weather riding and/or a lot of highway riding it is a good option, also the extra forward storage should be handy.

Ride on....

Old 09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my 06 RG last year, lowers came with the bike. The first thing I did before I rode away was put on the lowers. They will never be taken off. They were faily easy to put on with regular tools.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

All pro's and no con's unless you hate the look. The vented ones can be opened to allow air to move in during the hot months and closed in the cold. They also can be put on or taken off in 10 minutes or less, and no tools, with the quick detach kit. I would think it wouldn't take longer than 20-30 minutes with the non quick detach setup. HD sells quick detach now. You can also look at eglidegoodies.com and get the Rivco kit. That's what I have. Excellent stuff.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

All positive. Get the vented ones.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot depends on you and where you live. Yes they can be remove in 20-30 min... as the only have 3 screws on each side holding them on. It may take 45 min... to reinstall because you have to line them up with the cruise bar. I suggest the ones with the vent. They do provide air to the engine and you when the sun is out. I use mine during the fall, winter, and early spring. I live in north Alabama so it can get hot. Some say you get more air on the engine with the lower fairing on, I do not know for sure but the air sure feels good on me. The detach kit will help in removing them easier but I can not justify $90 for something that little time any way.
I really like them a awful lot in the winter months, don't get wet during the rain, keeps the cold off my legs. In fact I use my chaps and leather jacket until it drops below 35 degrees.
Your call
good luck
Jim
good luck

Old 09-08-2008, 03:11 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I have them on the 07 RG. At first I thought I'd take them off in the summer. After several thousand miles, with some temps in the 90's and an already hot 96 " engine I decided they are going to stay on. I may add the Rivco vents. (Rivco is only 10 miles from where I live.) I'm comfortable with Cool to cold mornings and nights and on the really buggy nights the lower keep me bug free! And in a light rain I don't break out the rain suit.

The quick release kits make the on-off-on transitions simple and most likely less than 10 minutes to do either.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 09-08-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have added the lowers on to my Road King. Just can not say enough about them. Mine are vented and well worth the cost. Give great cold weather and warm weather as well as light rain protection. Make the ride much more quite from wind noise, less the sound that gets reflected back from engine noise. Actually feels like the ride with them on is more stable at highway speeds. I don't take mine off except to do another mod or engine work that I don't want to scuff something up with.

Last edited by Ram; 09-08-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

I ride to work year round also. I just put chrome lowers on my 07 Classic in the winter and take em off in the other seasons and like it just fine. Maybe if I tried the lowers I would like em, who knows.

Quick Reply: Adding Fairing Lowers - Pro's and Con's?