Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Circuit breaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
firstborn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Circuit breaker problem

I have a 03 Roadglide that I purchased about six months ago from a close friend. The bike ran great until just recently. Last week I was riding during a pretty hot day and the bike suddenly cut off. All the electrics died so I pulled to the side of the road and waited for about 3 minutes then cut the ignition back on and she fired right up. I was pretty gun shy after that so I rode straight home and parked it.

I jumped on computer and searched this site for the problem and answer. I discovered the info about the recall. I checked with my local dealer and was advised that the upgrade had already been done on my bike back in 06. I plan on replacing the breaker again myself just to be sure. My question is this, during the search I ran across a few threads that suggested I change the gauge on the wires that run to the breaker to lower the resitance or else the new 50 amp breaker will still trip. I just want to know if anyone has continued to have problems after they replaced the old breaker with the new 50 amp one. If so what did they do to fix the problem.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! On my '03, the breaker was replaced under recall and we headed to California. Ran great until we got to Lake Havasu and it died in heavy traffic and I was in the inside lane with no power whatsoever. Went to the dealer in Kingman next morning and they put another breaker in. To make a long story short, it quit several other times on that trip and the dealer in Fort Smith worked on it for over 2 hours and couldn't find anything... no shorts or loose connections. A few months later my local dealer said they received a bulletin from H-D saying to replace the wires and connectors to the breaker. After that, for the next 70,000 miles it didn't lose power again. If you notice, the breaker is located in a very hot spot also, so moving it somewhere (?) cooler would help too. Hope this helps

Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
firstborn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, Im glad someone with first hand knowledge was able to figure it out. I'll check with my dealer to see what type of wire and connectors are used on the updated breaker.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're quite welcome. Good luck.