Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals and EFI downloads

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
ROVPLT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals and EFI downloads

Just bought a set of Vance and Hines Big Shot True Duals from Dennis Kirk. The pipes were delivered on time. My question is do I need to download something into the computer or will the stock ECM adjust the fuel mixture by it self. I am not as concerned about the performance in the short term but do want to install them and ride the bike ASAP. I am riding a 2008 FLHX Street Glide, and do not want to screw up the engine. So with all that said can I bolt on the pipes and ride or do I need to install a fuel management system or update the software?

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I know some guys have done it with no problems. If you don't change A/C then you might be OK. I'm just not sure enough to do it if it were mine. Why not get a fuel pak?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put those pipes on my bike by myself. I also installed the screamin eagle air cleaner and I used the V/H fuel pak. It was very easy to do, the only thing you must do is put the left heatshield on the pipe before installing it. The right side you can get on after the piep is installed loosely. The fuel pak was simple and inexpensive, that is why I went with it. I found one on ebay for $150. I had a little popping and called V/H tech support they had me change one number on the fuel pak and now everything is good. The pipes are very loud so if you don't want loud buy the quiet baffle.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

AI says you dont need to, D&D on their site says that you dont need to with their Super Boss S/O's and hi flow a/c. I will try it with my bike tomorrow, the D&D with Doherity a/c. Have a super tuner on the way and will do the down load myself, but I am planning big upgrades soon so if I damage the pistons and top end no biggie they will be replaced anyway.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

If you didn't change the A/C you don't need a fuel pak or download. Just put on the Vance and Hines and enjoy.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing_Al
If you didn't change the A/C you don't need a fuel pak or download. Just put on the Vance and Hines and enjoy.
We have a winner
The exhaust will not change the mixture enough to warrant a fuel manager. The ECM will take care of the change for ya.

Now install them and go ride
DD

Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
ROVPLT
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. So far I have not changed the air cleaner yet and I do plan on buying a fuel pack or PCIII. I am just wanting to hear my new pipes without waiting on a fuel pack as right now my funds are limited. Thanks again everybody and ride safe.

Thanks, Ryan

Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
verko
Cruiser

I have big shots but got the PCIII for flexilibilty instead of Fuel pack

You will love those pipes. Go out and have fun

Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM
theiceman
Advanced

with all due respect;
i hate when all of this comments are made without any real data.i have deal with harleys since carburation and now fuel injection.any time any changes are made to the stock form something will also change down the line.yes is partially true the computer will compensate however to a very narrow marging.once the exhaust is replaced the volumetric efficiency tables are completly trown out of specs.the first sign after the exhaust change will be more heat and also pinging will be noticeable during fuel demand.also the idle will be inconsistant.throttle will be some what sluggish during idle blipping.this is not a bunch of BS.i talk thru personal experience.due the intake and your exhaust and have the stage one download thru harley.the bike AFR will almost remain the same but the volumetric efficiency tables will be re-written for maximum timing calibration.thats the reason you see a lot of guys with slip ons or true duals with blued mark's at the mufflers joint with the header pipe.do ot take short cuts or get a bunch of bad advise from second hand.educate yourself.i listen to a bunch of so called experts and it cost me $1800.once i put my stock ECM and did the K&N intake and slip ons with the factory download my bike runs a HELL of a lot better than before and getting 46.7 MPG.trust me be carefull who you listen to.again there is a lot of good people in this forums but also there is a lot of beginers who think they are experts.take it for what is worth.
theiceman

Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 AM
ramnj
Road Master

I installed the SE 4" slip-ons alone and the bike is running great. I will be on the lookout for what 'iceman' said above.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals and EFI downloads