Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to install a radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 AM
so165
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install a radio

How hard is it to install the radio on an 08 flht? also, are the speakers already in there? are there any tricks I need to know about the installation?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is very easy. I installed a Biketronics stereo kit on my '08 FLHT just a few weeks ago and, taking my time, it only took me ~3 hours. The Biketronics module simply plugs into the factory harness allowing you to use your factory stereo controls plus retain the factory AVC (automatic volume control), a Biketronics exclusive. The speakers plug into the existing factory plugs. The only "wiring" I had to do was connecting seven wires from the other end of the Biketronics module to the Sony head unit's harness. This was a simple matter of mating like-colored wires, e.g., white to white, black to black, etc. The illustrated instructions provided by Biketronics are excellent and make the job easy.

BTW, we LOVE our stereo system and for less than $500 it was a super bargain!

P.S.- No, the speakers aren't in there, but all the wiring is there waiting to be used. The Biketronics kits are complete and include the Sony head unit of your choice (I bought the Sony Marine head unit), two speakers (mine came with a pair of Hog Tunes speakers), the Biketronics module, and a piece of wire aka antenna. I would suggest you buy either an amplified antenna or use a traditional antenna, if you want acceptable radio reception. I bought the powered antenna sold by Crutchfield, mounted it inside the fairing, and the reception is pretty darn good.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 09-23-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

give firecap 501 a shout on this forum. he has arc audio setups that beat the competition with a sledgehammer! he is top notch and the equipment is second to none

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 for Biketronics. Lots of happy HDF'ers (myself included) using the Biketronics interface (to allow handlebar controls of a Sony aftermarket headunit).

Hawg-wired also has a hardwired interface unit, but it does not have AVC.

The PAC module referenced by blueflht is derived from their automotive steering wheel/headunit controls of the car headunit and uses IR for the signal. Consequently, for the HD installation wires in your handlebar controls need to be cut and resistors added to the module. More complicated installation than Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface, but allows use of headunits (Alpine, for example) that are not compatible with Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface headunits.

Good luck with your research.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Just installed a biketronics set up as well. I got the "better" titan speakers with the middle of the road sony that has an ipod cord so that I can control the ipod with my hand controls.

My set up was COMPLETELY plug and play. I didn't have to do anything with that bundle of wire that comes of the head unit's harness. I just plugged it into the biketronic's module and I was done.

Btw...I have an 08flht. The 70 watt speakers are CRYSTAL clear at high speeds. The absolute only complaint I have is that the biketronics speaker adapters that aims the speaker at you doesn't fit with the titan speakers. I just used the stock ones. Maybe if I spent extra time with it then it MIGHT have fit but it didn't look doable because the magnets are HUGE on the titan speakers.

btw.....biketronic's customer service is GREAT.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
It is very easy. I installed a Biketronics stereo kit on my '08 FLHT just a few weeks ago and, taking my time, it only took me ~3 hours. The Biketronics module simply plugs into the factory harness allowing you to use your factory stereo controls plus retain the factory AVC (automatic volume control), a Biketronics exclusive. The speakers plug into the existing factory plugs. The only "wiring" I had to do was connecting seven wires from the other end of the Biketronics module to the Sony head unit's harness. This was a simple matter of mating like-colored wires, e.g., white to white, black to black, etc. The illustrated instructions provided by Biketronics are excellent and make the job easy.

BTW, we LOVE our stereo system and for less than $500 it was a super bargain!

P.S.- No, the speakers aren't in there, but all the wiring is there waiting to be used. The Biketronics kits are complete and include the Sony head unit of your choice (I bought the Sony Marine head unit), two speakers (mine came with a pair of Hog Tunes speakers), the Biketronics module, and a piece of wire aka antenna. I would suggest you buy either an amplified antenna or use a traditional antenna, if you want acceptable radio reception. I bought the powered antenna sold by Crutchfield, mounted it inside the fairing, and the reception is pretty darn good.

could you please post a picture of how the marine radio looks in your dash if you have a second. I am second guessing my decision to go with the NON marine version.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior

i never referenced the swi jac in this thread. daily new products are available for these bikes. a plug and play setup is being designed now for the kenwood radios and even the swi jac with arc setups are better than the biketronics products. its my 02 but 600 $ for 11 watts per channel just isnt what i was looking for.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

11 watts per channel? I'm not a sound system guy by any means but i thought the radio I just got from biktronics is a 55 watt per channel. the speakers are 70 watt a piece.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

I'm sorry....it's 52 watt per channel with 70 watt speakers. PHEW....you had me nervous there.

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT620IP

Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior

all the biketronics radios are 17 watts rms. the 55 you speak of is the PEAK watt rating. as for amps the standard titan amp is 75 watts rms at a cost of 399$ the arc amp is 70 watts rms at less than 300$ with adj. gain high low pass filters and bass boost. none is available on the titan. the high end titan pushes 90 watts rmss at a cost of 499$. also non adj.
im not knockin anyones product but if you want high clarity adjustabilty at a fair price arc is the way to go. the speakers by arc are also very high quality. try firecap he wont do you wrong.
as a side note most of the sony head units available at biketronics can be had for about 50 to 75 $ less on ebay. while plug and play is nice the cost to me is prohibitive. with a little research and cap to guide you this install is a breeze

i also mispoke of the 11 watts . thats the hogtunes amp not the titanamp. my bad.

Last edited by blueflht; 09-24-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: how to install a radio