Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here like the idea of passing lights on a SG???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many here like the idea of passing lights on a SG???

I have been messing around with the idea of adding a set of passing lights to my 08' SG. Now I aint adding them for looks, I actually need a bit more light on the road. At this stage of the game....I am 45 years old now, my night vision has deteriorated a bit and the extra light would help a bunch.
I am just not sure if I should go with the passing lights or a set of aux lights mounted to the crash bars (then if I want to add the lowers I am screwed though I think??).
The whole thing with the FLHX is the clean sort of look, and I dont know if adding the passing lights would detract from that. I also need to figure out what would actually oput more light on the road......the passing lights, or driving (riding) lights?

Help me out here guys.....I know someone out there besides me likes to see where they are going at night.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flhx passing lamps

first mod o.k maybe second after pipes..they look great and do not detract from the clean lines of a s/g i.m.h.o

Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

Moto lights mount off of the brake calipers. Look real nice. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...168/Motolights I'm 45 and my night vision is gone. Use to be awsome, but it's scarry at night these days. I try and get home before total darkness. Then there's the PIAA HID driving lights that get rave reviews, but spendy. http://www.bikerhiway.com/piaa-hid-l...y-2-p-646.html

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM
ASQTec
Intermediate

I think they are a requirement; Helps you see at night, helps others see you the rest of the time.

And..I think they look good too.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't care for them on the SG. But it sure would be nice to have a little extra light. I have been running the Silver star lights up front they help, but don't last very long.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Just put the Moto's on today, they are really pretty amazing. I don't think I'd put regular passing lamps on the Glide... the Moto's will give you more light and keep the low slung, class look. They are pricey... but give them a call they are great to work with, I give them an A+++ for product and service.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04harleyboy
Personally I don't care for them on the SG. But it sure would be nice to have a little extra light. I have been running the Silver star lights up front they help, but don't last very long.
I know you must know about not touching the glass envelope, but another good tip is to bust out the rubbing alcohol and clean the glass even on brand new in the box bulbs. I always clean them before use, and they last a long time. I have a set in my Ford Bronco now for going on three years, and the one in my SE-Deuce has been in there for over two years.

just thought I would pass on the tip.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Passing Lamps

Don't waste your money, get the Moto Lights or the Piaa's. These things turn night time into daytime. There's a reason why a lot of long distance riders use them.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biz44
I know you must know about not touching the glass envelope, but another good tip is to bust out the rubbing alcohol and clean the glass even on brand new in the box bulbs. I always clean them before use, and they last a long time. I have a set in my Ford Bronco now for going on three years, and the one in my SE-Deuce has been in there for over two years.

just thought I would pass on the tip.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time. I average about 6,000 miles a bulb and it is getting to be a pain replacing them.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the idea of adding the PIAA HID's but I dont like the idea of mounting them on the caliper mounting point at all. It looks funky, and I think the lense would be a good target for a small stone. I think if I do buy them I will mount them on the crash bars as far inboard as I can, so if I decide to put on the lowers for the winter, I can still keep the riding lights on there.
Quick question for anyone who added a set of this type of lighting.....are these riding lights able to be illuminated even with the high beams or low beams on, or are they designed to work one or the other?

Quick Reply: How many here like the idea of passing lights on a SG???