Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag gas can

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag gas can

After the last couple of weeks trying to ride around the Atlanta area, I've been thinking how nice it would be to have a couple of gas cans that would fit the bottom half of the saddlebags on my bike. I drove from Atlanta to Indiana and back this past weekend. I wanted to ride but couldn't chance it to find gas. Indiana and Kentucky was fine, but cross the Tennessee line and it got scarce really quickly. I don't want a fold up gas can, I'm talking about one molded to the contour of the hard bags with screw on cap similar to a gas can for your lawn mower, but with a flat top as to take up less space. Anyone ever saw such a thing ?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a couple of the sealed ones that the backpackers use to carry gas into the back country. Only about a gallon, but thats enough to get me out of trouble. course, if the HD gas gauge and low fuel warning light were actually accurate, probably wouldn't need the spare fuel. I only haul the fuel when I'm touring, and have a case built into my trailer to haul them.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Can't say as I have seen anything like that. There is a motorcycle trailer manufacturer out of Canada that has a funky looking motorcycle trailer to pull behind your scoot and one of the options for it is a gas can carrier that carries a can on each side of the trailer. I suppose you could have one fabricated from a plastic tank company....and then patent it and become rich.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Big Blue Bike
Advanced

St. Paul Harley used to advertise a gas bottle on ebay that would fit in your saddlebags. Reminded me of a thermos but held enough to get you out of trouble.

BBB

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Ah carry 4 one-liter containers from MSR - they're rated for fuel, an' have saved other folks more'n once. It's funny - ah've used 'em once mahself, an' a BUNCH of times fer other folks! Well worth the money, IMO!

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/fuelbottle.asp

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 om MSR! They come in a bunch of different sizes and don't leak.
Been carrying them for years on trips - great peace of mind!
Also good for carrying Octane boost....

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Thanks George, Good to hear from you. been awhile. I'm Just looking to stretch the range between gas stations just in case. The events the past couple of weeks has brought that fact home, that you can't depend on the local gas supply all the time. And Dawg, There is a local company close to home that molds gas cans and plastic tackle boxes. I May need to check them out.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
Ah carry 4 one-liter containers from MSR - they're rated for fuel, an' have saved other folks more'n once. It's funny - ah've used 'em once mahself, an' a BUNCH of times fer other folks! Well worth the money, IMO!

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/fuelbottle.asp
I started reading this post and had to look and see who it was. You have been missed around here man.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys - it's good ta be back! This forum is a great site ta swap ideas an' to pick up on new ways ta do things!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
SBFD8
Cruiser
Default gas

I carry 2 of the msr fuel containers they work great try a camping store to get them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saddle bag gas can