Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inch Pound Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Inch Pound Torque Wrench

Got my Kuryakyn Engine Transmission Cover (8201) yesterday! [sm=bling.gif] Brand new for $20.00 on Ebay. What a deal!

The installation seems simple but I have some questions:

1) Did you use the inch pound torque wrench?

2) Do I have to use the inch pound torque wrench?

3) Should I use the inch pound torque wrench?

[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
BW
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inch Pound Torque Wrench

Probably good to use one, but they can be hard to find and expensive. And theirs a side of me that thinks telling someone to use an inch pound torque wrench is just another way of saying don't tighten it down much.

How many inch pounds does it call for? Craftsman has one that starts at about 80 inch pounds and goes up from there. Think it sells for about $80. Snap-on is the only place I know that has one that reads inch pounds in small quantities, and I think it costs around $300.

Good that you noticed it was inch pounds though. I once failed to notice that and thought the specs called for foot pounds. That got interesting.

Ben

Old 03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Probably good to use one, but they can be hard to find and expensive. And theirs a side of me that thinks telling someone to use an inch pound torque wrench is just another way of saying don't tighten it down much.

How many inch pounds does it call for? Craftsman has one that starts at about 80 inch pounds and goes up from there. Think it sells for about $80. Snap-on is the only place I know that has one that reads inch pounds in small quantities, and I think it costs around $300.

Good that you noticed it was inch pounds though. I once failed to notice that and thought the specs called for foot pounds. That got interesting.

Ben
It only calls for 84-108. I see some that start at 10 and go to 150 for $20.00. But I didn't want to buy it if the next part was going to call for foot pounds or a number greater than 150. I'm already starting to collect stars and allens. My buddy converted all his screws and I am thinking like wise.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
BW
Intermediate

Well, you'll definitely end up needing a goot foot pounds one. No way around that.

For inch pounds you may end up needing two, one that can do smaller increments, like the one you mention, and one that can do larger ones. But having those three should cover you.

If you are going to work on your own ride you will find the need to buy tools to be endless. Case in point, I want to readjust the handlebars a little on my classic. To do that I have to buy the torx sockets (which you will need in any case). Then I found that I needed an extended 3/16 allen socket because you have to remove the radio in order to get to the handlebar clamps. So I've been chasing down the Snap-on guy to get one of their 6" hex sockets. The list just keeps growning.

Where did you find the in lbs torque wrench for around $20? I might be interested in one.

Ben

Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call around to your local auto parts stores. Several of the major chains will rent or lend them out. Autozone for example charges you $100 but it is 100% refundable once you return the tool in the same shape as that when you checked it out.

Around $80 to purchase from Sears.

Primo

Old 03-30-2006, 03:15 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you alreadt have a foot pound's torque wrench just convert it. 12 inch pound's = 1 foot pound. So if you were to go to 100 inch pound's do 100/12=8.333333 so you could set your foot pound TQ wrench to 8 ft pound's and bingo you got your 100 inch pounds.

KB

Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBES BAGGER

If you alreadt have a foot pound's torque wrench just convert it. 12 inch pound's = 1 foot pound. So if you were to go to 100 inch pound's do 100/12=8.333333 so you could set your foot pound TQ wrench to 8 ft pound's and bingo you got your 100 inch pounds.

KB
The only problem with this is if the number falls into your foot-pound wrench's lowest 10% of range, it will likely not be accurate. Torque wrenches should always be used in the median 80% range.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:46 AM
BladeMan
Tourer

I've got a craftsman torque wrench that starts at 25"# and goes to 250"#. I would be afraid to buy one for only $20. You usually get what you pay for.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My experience tells me that for doing much work on a HD you will need two torque wrenches. 1 in inch lbs and 1 in ft lbs. Craftsman has them for about 70.00 and they work well for the average home mechanic.

I have the Craftsman in inch lbs in a 3/8" drive and a ft lbs. in a 1/2" drive. I think the in. lbs goes form 20 to 240 or so, and the ft. lb goes from 20 to 210 or so. I do know that the inch maxes out just about where the ft lb starts, so you get pretty full range with the two wrenches.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

I agree-- you really need both to do it right. I've tried using my Craftsman 1/2" on the low settings, but the accuracy is questionable and it's hard to feel the "break" at real low settings. I got the Craftsman 3/8" inch-pound wrench (expensive), and it works well and is easier to handle for the lower torque requirements. Considering the number of new tools I've needed to get to work on my RK, the torque wrench is a small part of the overall cost. It might be possible to "fake it" for the low torques, but I'm a firm believer in following the service manual recommendations, since it's my butt in the saddle!

Quick Reply: Inch Pound Torque Wrench