Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic, Cutting the Whips Down to Size.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Question Ultra Classic, Cutting the Whips Down to Size.

Okay Guys,

I'm new to the Bagger Section as I recently gave up the Dyna for a Touring model (used).

The bike has some small rubber antennas (see sig file) but I sound like crap on the CB when transmitting. I can hear other members in the riding group just fine, it's only when I transmit. So I picked up a set of OEM whips from a guy here at HDF in the MC Parts for Sale section. The only problem now is pulling in and out of the garage the whips drag on the garage door. I know someone here must have cut down the OEM antennas on their Ultra Classic..

What did you use to cut the whips down?

Did it affect the transmission on the CB radio?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it will effect the CB as well as the AM\FM (but not that much)... Find a CB Shop they're normally around most Truck Stops and have them change or replace your antennas and adjust the CB antenna in for performance.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about installing some new 2009 ones
They are redisgned for 09
Will they fit? that is the question

Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The only problem now is pulling in and out of the garage the whips drag on the garage door. I know someone here must have cut down the OEM antennas on their Ultra Classic..
I am not familiar the saddle bag latches you are using. with the factory latches you can fold down the antennas and hook the tip (ball) on the front part of the latch. Thee is a small gap and the antenna hooks easily there. Perhaps the latches you are using will do the same thing.
I have showed this to many on trips when I cover my Ultra. Almost all including old timers have commented "I did not you could do that".
Works good and cheap.
Jim

Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had an Ultra, I just went with the J&M short antennas. The CB may lost some range but if you only talking bike2bike how far away is buddy really going to be.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
gunnut1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my other weird interests is amateur radio, I have a bit of antenna knowledge but am by no means an expert. For your intended purpose, the higher and longer a transmitting antenna is the better. if you intend to cut a transmitting antenna you need to have someone check the Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) if it is not less than 2:1 your CB will likely cut transmitting power to AVOID DAMAGE as high SWR means excess heat in the CB. Hope this helps

Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnut1
One of my other weird interests is amateur radio, I have a bit of antenna knowledge but am by no means an expert. For your intended purpose, the higher and longer a transmitting antenna is the better. if you intend to cut a transmitting antenna you need to have someone check the Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) if it is not less than 2:1 your CB will likely cut transmitting power to AVOID DAMAGE as high SWR means excess heat in the CB. Hope this helps
That is the reason I have continued using the long antennas.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were transmitting for a while on those short antennas, be ready to buy a new CB module. If when you say "I sound like crap" you mean there is a lot of whistling/squealing when you transmit, you burned the finals in the CB module already. Only cure is a new module. Ask me how I know this, as I did the same.

So, in other words, do not just cut your CB antenna, you will damage the CB module on the transmit side

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd advise against trimming down a CB whip. The length is matched to the ground plane.

You might change to the '09 fiber whips if clearance/height is an issue (they'll fit and are adjusted to the HK CB radio). I'd still get somebody with an SWR meter to tune the CB ant to your radio if you really want the best transmission.

Not sure if they are on the HD website yet. I think these are the correct HD part numbers:

76503-08 Fiber radio ant
76250-09 Fiber CB ant

Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
If you were transmitting for a while on those short antennas, be ready to buy a new CB module. If when you say "I sound like crap" you mean there is a lot of whistling/squealing when you transmit, you burned the finals in the CB module already. Only cure is a new module. Ask me how I know this, as I did the same.

So, in other words, do not just cut your CB antenna, you will damage the CB module on the transmit side

I think you may have hit the nail on the head

I don't know what I sound like but everyone says I sound really bad

Since you have been down this path with yours, how much to replace the module? You got a part number??

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic, Cutting the Whips Down to Size.