Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart Baffle Removal

Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rinehart Baffle Removal

Hello all; I just received a pair of Rinehart Quiet baffles. The problem is that I can't get the old baffles out. I took the end caps off. Even started the bike up and let it run for 5 minutes. Still the baffles won't pull out. Is there a trick? I can't find the Rinehart web site to contact them. The new baffles look to just push in. Thanks for any and all help

Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Glyde
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insert a broom handle and wiggle the baffle back & forth a bit. Once loose you can grab with pliers and pull it right out.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Glyde
Road Master

Also I found getting the quiet baffle installed was a little challenging. What I ended up doing was to hammer the baffle into the end cap using a rubber mallet and then installing the assembly into the muffler. Good luck & ride safe.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

A rubber strap oil filter wrench works great and wont damage the finish. Also makes it easy to lign up the holes.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The baffles will be a real pain in the a$$ to remove due to the carbon build up and the rust that develops.

Does the baffle on the Rineharts extend past the body of the muffler, or is it short of the body?

If it's short of the body, you could try slamming it down on a thick phone book or piece of pine..........that would knock the baffle loose. And you could do this same trick to install the new quiet baffle.

If the baffle is longer then the body, it's going to take a lot of elbow grease..........and wd-40. Spray wd-40 on both ends of the baffle and let it soak in. Then grab ahold of the baffle and start to wiggle and pull and twist all at the same time.

Steve

Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be curious to hear the results once you get them in and running for a few days. I've thought about this option just to get a little torque back.

Let us know!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer

I removed mine by pulling off the mufflers and driving the baffle out from the front of the muffler rather than trying to pull it out from the end. (After removing the end caps, of course.)

Old 10-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Baffle removal

When I had my Reinharts I ordered a set of the performance baffles from (The loud ones). I tried several times to remove the baffles and had no luck. I even drilled a cross hole in the end of the baffle and attached a slide hammer to the pin. No Luck!. I had the bike walking across the floor with each hit. NO LUCK!!. I wound up sending the baffles back. When I spoke to Bub/Reinhart the tech told me to spray a little windex in there from the head pipe side. Yeah Right. I was not able to knock them out from the head pipe side because they fit up against a shoulder so the inside was smooth.
I sold the Reinharts to a guy that loved the sound as is. God Bless him......

Old 10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Glyde
Road Master

Wow, mine come right out with little effort. I know Rinehart redesigned the mufflers about 2 years ago and the baffles are different. Maybe the new ones are easier?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rinehart Baffle Removal Revisited

Hello all; Well, I tried everything. Broomstick, taking the mufflers off and spraying Windex too loosen them up, then WD-40. They simply won't budge. Also, you have to be carefull not to distort the end of the baffle, or the end cap won't go on. So.... you can't put on the vice grips and start twisting. (The baffles are flush with the end of the muffler).
So I decided to take the Rinehart mufflers back off and reinstall my slightly cored out stock mufflers. Wrong!!!! The Rinehart head pipes are larger than the stock pipes, so the mufflers went into the Rinehart pipes and not over them. That won't work as there is no way to clamp the mufflers tight, and it looks bad as the heat shields don't go to the end of the Rinehart pipes.
So if anyone has quieter mufflers to fit the Rinehart pipes, I may be persuaded to trade. I'll even include the Quiet Baffles that I waisted $119.00 on.
Or better yet, maybe someone knows how to get the performance baffles out.
Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rinehart Baffle Removal