Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving out VIN number to stranger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving out VIN number to stranger?

I am trying to sell one of my bikes. I had a guy call me off of Craigslist. The guy sounded legit and said he wanted to come and look at the bike today. I got an email from him last night asking for the VIN number. Is there a scam I don't know about by obtaining the VIN or am I just being too paranoid? T.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:50 AM
parrothead306
Cruiser

If he is tryin to get a loan or insurance for it they will typically ask for the vin number.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser

Not sure how things work in the States but in Canada if a guy wants to finance the bike they do a title search on it to make sure there are no liens on the bike. They need the VIN for that. I have sold bikes before and usually have to give the interested parties the number, I just try and make sure that they are really interested before giving it to them. never had a problem.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,620 Likes on 427 Posts

He wants to run it and make sure it wasn't in an accident.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

The times are a changing my friend 20 years ago the engine number could be used in any country. The vin number on your bike is only for your bike don't worry.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..there are plenty of scams where VIN is used..it's not a scam that would cost or effect you, what these overseas scammers do is re-list your bike for sale themselves under a different ad, use your VIN # in the ad so it comes back a legit bike, then try to get someone to send a downpayment so they can "hold it" for them...I would simply ask the buyer to meet with you before giving out the VIN...

Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser

It's bad that there is so much dishonesty and no-one can trust anybody anymore. If you want to get freaked out... Does he know where you live? Does he have your full name? What if... He wanted to run a check on the history of the scooter?

If he buys it are you going to accept a Check, Money Order(s) or CASH? Oh My... All of them could be bogus. I really hate what we've become.

Would I give him the serial number? Sure. I just sold my BMW R1100RT, I gave the guy the serial number over the phone, when he showed up I even let him ride it and when he handed me the Cash, I didn't even count it, I just stuck it in my pocket and said, "I'm feel sure you're as Honest as I am".

Joe if someone wanted a good serial number there's at least a thousand on ebay right now (look on the right side of the listing page).

Capt. Mike

Last edited by Mcathcart; 10-17-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 AM
timmartin
Intermediate

I don't see a problem with giving the VIN number out to someone. Any stranger walking by your bike (or car) in a parking lot can get the same information right off the frame (or dash).

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 AM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just gave out the VIN for my Sportster yesterday to a guy. Said his CU needed it.

He supposed to buy my bike today.

We shall see.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Giving out VIN number to stranger?