Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 RKC spits/backfires out the air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
MildBill52
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06 RKC spits/backfires out the air cleaner

Hopefully someone can help me with this!
My bike is spitting/backfiring through the throttle body. When it's cold, it will start right up and idle for a minute or two and then it starts to spit and makes it almost impossible to ride. I've replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, as well as both of the hoses inside the tank. After changing all that, it seemed to run pretty good for about 75 miles or so, then it started all over again. I then replaced both of the injectors with the updated 6 hole 25 degree ones (I was told I was past the emission warranty...52,000+ miles). Ran pretty good for about 5 or 10 minutes and the farting resumed. Since the only diagnostic equipment I have is the seat of my pants, I thought I'd throw this out here before I have to suck it up and take it to the dealer.
Oh, I guess I should mention what kind of stuff I have...
06 FLHRCI, V&H dresser duals, Big City Thunder monster baffles and Python 3.5 dresser slip ons, Cobra FI200R, Screamin' Eagle backplate with Zipper's air filter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

Did you make any changes just before this started, like the air intake? Do you have any fuel adjusing system like PC III or V&H Fuelpack? IF not sounds like you need one. The reason it runs good for the first 5 or 10 minutes could be the system is cold and the computer is calling for more fuel then when it warms up that "choke" shuts down and the bike is starving for fuel. Just a shot. There are a lot of folks on here that that I am sure will chime in with help but this may be a starting point. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Check your plugs
After you start your bike does a red or yellow light come on ? Does it go out after 8 seconds ? There should be a fault code logged and you need to retrieve this number.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 AM
MildBill52
Novice

Yes, I do have a fuel management system, the Cobra FI200r. Also, the plugs are only about 1000 miles or so old. Yes, the yellow "check engine" light comes onfor awhile (not sure if it's 8 seconds or not). How do I retrieve the fault code number?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

There should be info in the search engine under 06 diagnostic codes . Hold the trip mileage button in when you turn the key on and diag will come up press button once for 1 of 4 system checks . A letter and 4 numbers will come up on the dash on one of the 4 options. Press button once for system one once more for system 2 etc. Write down the codes and that will tell us whats going on with your motor hopefully.

Last edited by hogbag07; 10-20-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
MildBill52
Novice

Thanks very much for the info. I'll check it out when I get home from work this evening. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

I would recommend looking towards an intake leak at the intake manifold.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
MildBill52
Novice

Are there any special tricks to removing the induction module? (intake manifold) I've tried to use a 1/4" ball end allen wrench (about 5" long) and could only loosen one of the bolts. I bought the intake seals with the intention of replacing them but couldn't figure out how to get the bolts out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess if I have to take the rest of the bike apart I'll do that!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM
MildBill52
Novice

Ok, well I just checked for the trouble code and I got "P55PE" or "P55Pt" (last character looks like an upper case E with the top line missing. ) I'll go out and check the plugs anyways, I have an old set that I know still works.
If anyone can let me know what that code means, I would appreciate it.
When I push the button once, the first "P" flashes. When I push it again, the first "5" flashes. Next push gets the "5P" flashing, and then the next push gets the "E" (or t) flashing.
Thanks for the help.
Bill

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
MildBill52
Novice

Ok, I guess I didn't go quite far enough in my code checking. After going through all the areas, it runs a number across the display that looks like a part number "pn 32915-06" and when I run the last one, the "t" it says "no rsp" It shows "none" on all the other areas.

Quick Reply: 06 RKC spits/backfires out the air cleaner