Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra Candy Red Sunglo Inner Fairing Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Ultra Candy Red Sunglo Inner Fairing Project

Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 Ultra, Candy Red Sunglo. I want to paint the inner fairing. I talked to a guy who owns a body shop and he said if I get the code to the paint, he could get very close to matching it. So, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have had their inner fairing painted and hopefully some who has the Candy Red Sunglo color.

1. I'm not a mechanic. I did buy the service manual. For a non mechanical guy, do you think I could do the work to get the inner fairing off? I have taken the front fairing off to install a Garmin Zumo.

2. Do you recommend that I should buy the over priced Harley paint or go with a body shop trying to match the paint?

3. Should I get a clear coat finish? If so, one or two coats? I don't know if Harley puts a clear coat on their bikes.

Any other inputs for this project I sure would like to hear.

Thanx
Mack

Old 10-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MackAttack
Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 Ultra, Candy Red Sunglo. I want to paint the inner fairing. I talked to a guy who owns a body shop and he said if I get the code to the paint, he could get very close to matching it. So, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have had their inner fairing painted and hopefully some who has the Candy Red Sunglo color.

1. I'm not a mechanic. I did buy the service manual. For a non mechanical guy, do you think I could do the work to get the inner fairing off? I have taken the front fairing off to install a Garmin Zumo.

2. Do you recommend that I should buy the over priced Harley paint or go with a body shop trying to match the paint?

3. Should I get a clear coat finish? If so, one or two coats? I don't know if Harley puts a clear coat on their bikes.

Any other inputs for this project I sure would like to hear.

Thanx
Mack
You may need to ask someone but I believe you may need an additive put in the paint to allow the inner fairing to flex without cracking the paint.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced the inner fairing on my 08. Bought a used one painted it and swapped it out. Took about 2 and a half hours to remove the old one and install the painted one. Not hard to do at all. All the wiring just unplugs. If u have the manual and can take off the outer u can easily do the inner.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, you can do it yourself--the SM has an excellent step-by-step procedure. I did mine, but not in 2.5 hours. But, everything works and it looks great.

As for the paint, I'm not familiar with your color. Since my bike is white and I went with a black with fine silver flake inner fairing, I didn't have a color match issue. I've read that some paint shops have the ability to take a picture or use your picture of the color to match paint. Haven't done this but others have.

And say what you will about HD "overpriced" paint, it does match and hold-up well. I used HD paint to have an SG rear fender/facia painted, along with my front fairing and a used TP and the HD paint has worked well for 2+ years.

The following is from BVBOB on the "other" forum regarding Candy Red Sunglo PPG paint codes:

917827 is the code for Candy red Sunglo silver base, the tinted topcoat color is 917827/2, if you are painting a trailer to match you should be good to go, I have noticed quite a variance of this color just looking at different bikes from the moco, like any 3 stage paint, the thickness of the topcoat and method of spraying the basecoat(wet or dry) will skew the color one way or the other, the trigger man will have a great effect on final outcome as far as match goes.

Good luck with your project.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am currently having a trailer painted to match my bike which is Candy Sun Glo Red also. I went with the HD paint and clearcoat. I would also like to get inner fairing painted but checked to see if they make color matched switches. I was told they don't. I haven't checked to see if those could be painted and still keep lettering. I think the job looks unfinished without having switches painted.

1 qt. Pewter Pearl = $72.27
1 qt. Candy Red = $76.77
1 qt. Clear Coat = $ 72.27
3 8oz. Activator = $ 119.61

Activator is 4:1 ratio.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

From Zanotti's website, buying the HD painted inner fairing and cap in candy red sunglo:

Items in shopping cart158468-09CPF ( Quantity 1 * Price419.94)$ 419.94Shipping is$ 24.44 Total$ 444.38

So you sell your take-offs for $100+/- and you don't sweat color match for approx. $350 out-of-pocket.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty good advise, I'd say. And you know it'll match....

Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

look for the Nov special, one dealer in NJ is offering a painted inner fairing for 595 installed

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the HD paint. I had an accident earlier this year and my painter used a different brand paint which he had used before with no problem. Unfortunately this time it didn't match and he ended up repainting the entire bike. Keep in mind this is a 3 step paint, base coat, candy, and then clear. Most of the HD paints are base and clear.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Ultra Candy Red Sunglo Inner Fairing Project-sscn0070.jpg  
Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Top coat HD pn#98609CVC for a quart, base coat pn#98609CGR for a quart, clear coat pn#98609EK for a quart. Also need pn#99825-02 which is the urethane activator. These are the numbers if you want to use HD paints for Candy Red Sunglo

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra Candy Red Sunglo Inner Fairing Project