Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to use fuel stabilizer too often?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to use fuel stabilizer too often?

Guys,

Here in the North East, as the days get shorter and colder, every time I fill the tank of my Ultra, I'm adding a shot of fuel stabilizer. I fuel up about once every ten days. Is it bad for the fuel system, motor, exhaust, etc to be adding fuel stabilizer that often?

I'll ride until the snow falls, and when that time comes, I'll prep the bike for winter storage. However, one of the things that I don't want to have to do is drain the tank and refill with stabilizer - I'd rather be able to top it off.

Should I not do this?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
pandol34
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what kind of ride you're talking about using it in...because I've heard NOT to use in FI motors. Maybe some of the "wrench-pros" can better answer that question.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fotoflojoe
Guys,

Here in the North East, as the days get shorter and colder, every time I fill the tank of my Ultra, I'm adding a shot of fuel stabilizer. I fuel up about once every ten days. Is it bad for the fuel system, motor, exhaust, etc to be adding fuel stabilizer that often?

I'll ride until the snow falls, and when that time comes, I'll prep the bike for winter storage. However, one of the things that I don't want to have to do is drain the tank and refill with stabilizer - I'd rather be able to top it off.

Should I not do this?

Thanks
It shouldn't hurt the bike at all. Not sure what you mean "draining the tank". You should always "FILL" the tank before storage, to keep moisture from rusting the tank. Add the proper amount of Sta-bil (read the label, a small shot of Sta-bil won't do much in 5-6 gals of fuel), then top it off with fuel, so the Sta-bil mixes with the existing fuel. Also, if you're filling your tank every 10 days, there's no need to stabilizer in the fuel.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 10-27-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

As someone said you don't need to be using Sb that often anyway. When your ready to store it fill the tank slosh it around a little and fire it up for a few minutes.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Ultra Will
Advanced

My dealer said that the bikes that they have to clean out the most in the spring are FI that have had Sta Bil sitting in them. Doesn't make sense to me but he said it gums up the injectors.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Will
My dealer said that the bikes that they have to clean out the most in the spring are FI that have had Sta Bil sitting in them. Doesn't make sense to me but he said it gums up the injectors.
Quote from Sta-bil website:

Is STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer safe for fuel injectors and catalytic converters?
Absolutely yes! STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer prevents the formation of gums and varnish that can clog fuel injectors, and new formula STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer now has a fuel injector cleaner to further improve your engine’s performance.
www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil

Old 10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Plus Sea-Ray boats and their dealers recommend adding it with every tank of gas, which I do. They wouldn't be recommending it for regular use it it caused a problem. Add the correct dose and ride without worry. In my bike I dont add it because I burn through the gas quick enough but I will add it as winter approaches and I ride less.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
reh13
Road Master

I use sea foam in my bikes, boats, cars, trucks, garden tractor, weed eater, and anything else that burns gasoline. I put a can in my trucks and cars every so often, and in my boats on a regular basis as well. Same with my harleys. It's a stabilizer as well as a fuel treatment. Towards the end of riding season, I add 2 oz per gal of gas, each time I fuel up. If I think the bike needs 4 gal of gas, I'll add 8 oz of sea foam. Most of the time, it won't take the amount of gas I've added the sea foam to treat. Same with my boats. I'm sure my bikes and boats get much more than necessary on a regular basis. I've never had a problem with any of my bikes or boats in the 30-40 years I've been using the stuff.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:25 PM
dh2683
Supporter

I dont think it will hurt. I dont add it unless the gas will not be used for 1 month or so.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I do the exact same thing as in the original post, cause you never really know when you won't be able to ride for awhile. I've been doing this for years, and have NEVER had a problem. Never!

Quick Reply: Is it bad to use fuel stabilizer too often?