Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHRS, FLTR and Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM
K2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHRS, FLTR and Auxiliary Running Light/Brake Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit

I also posted this thread in the Softail section, as I own an FLSTN and this same issue applies.

According to spec this kit does not meet DOT standards for these models.

Under Massachusetts Law:
"Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal seperation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches."

So it appears that it is permitted to install this kit in Massachusetts.

Has anyone come accross this issue?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only "issue" I've seen is that in some locations the dealer won't install in on bikes that don't have the necessary separation. It's a simple plug-in install, so buy it yourself & plug it in. At first I used the red turn signal lenses that came with the kit, but after seein' a friends with the amber lenses & the additional light from them I went back to amber. Only thing I've heard about it is the comment from a couple of friends that they haden't seen amber lights operate as running & brake lights before. No problems with LEOs yet.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

I live in MA not in Nashua,NH as my bio states (just Nashua is a stones throw)
Wife and i have been running them since the day they were availible.
We have each got over 50,000 miles of riding since with no problems from any PoPo.
I even ride to work in Boston, MA.
If your interested I just posted (this forum & the electrical forum) on how to make
the new versions Run/Brake/Turn into the old version Brake/Turn
Rob .....

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that you'll have any PD pull you over and measure the distance between the tail lights to make sure they're 9" or whatever your state mandates. The fact is that if they were going to pull you over and hassle you about something that small, you'd be pulled over anyway.

I'd worry more about using the amber lights as stop lights and getting pulled over than whether the lights are far enough apart. I've got the HD unit on both of my bikes and love the additional light with the rear running lights on.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

So, in Mass the Street Glide and Road Glide with their narrower bullet style tailights are non-compliant?

Or do they sell a different version in Mass?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

alabama laws states the permissible rear lights are red or yellow (amber). no designation as to function.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
robandlyn
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Or do they sell a different version in Mass?
NOPE !

The Wife has one ;-)

Rob ....

Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the conversion Rob is talking about... Eliminating the "run" part of the controller. On my module ('07 FLHRC) the running lights were too bright and there wasn't enough of a contrast in brightness when I hit the brakes. The turns being off in "run" mode and then going to full bright in "brake" mode makes a bigger difference so you are noticed when you hit the brakes, imo.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix5
I did the conversion Rob is talking about... Eliminating the "run" part of the controller. On my module ('07 FLHRC) the running lights were too bright and there wasn't enough of a contrast in brightness when I hit the brakes. The turns being off in "run" mode and then going to full bright in "brake" mode makes a bigger difference so you are noticed when you hit the brakes, imo.

I did the conversion and liked the look but you do make a good point about the lack of enough contrast between running mode and brake mode and I did notice that on the EG of my friend that would ride in front of me occasionally.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
K2
Intermediate

It looks like it is a national DOT standard (the warning) but each state has different regs. Looks like it's ok in MA. .. i guess. I'll try installing them myself since your directions are excellent! Thanks guys and ride safe!