Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the dyno difference in texas... different? hell yeahh

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the dyno difference in texas... different? hell yeahh

quick over view of my scoot.. Hq 120, marren injector, hpi 55mm tb, baker dd6.

this motor was built last winter..i pulled the sert off and went to dtt. never could seem to get it running as nice as i did with the sert BUT no one round theses parts are capable of tunning sert the Right way.. after playing with dtt all summer i decided to go back to sert. i was referred to by many people a dealer that has a great tuner (he drag races so he has to be good right?) he tunes my bike in 2 hours, im not feeling real good bout this but off i go not ten minutes into the ride and im getting all kinds of pinging.. i go back to him and tell him wassup, he takes timing out of the tune from 2000rpm up to 4500 ish, reloads the tune and sends me on my way...now i just dont think this tune is right.. plugs show signs of waay to much fuel and too much timming in front , too little in rear....107hp 128ish tq

so im getting ready for a trip i had planned... from pittsburgh to texas, to florida, back home to pittsburgh.. texas stop was to meet Phil and have Ed from the Dyno difference tune my bike...my afr in spots was 11-1 timming was waay off.. bike had terrible hot start issues, i guess 22 degrees of timming at startup didnt help now that its sitting at 12 degrees for start up..

anywho.... Ed is a great guy, spent all day tunning and testing, he is pays very close attention to detail and it shows....i have not seen one person spend the time and tune as detailed as he did.. the numbers show his effort. 115hp 151tq looks like ill be making the trip to texas for future motor builds, unless his show goes on the road!!!!

while down there i got to hang with Phil and his wife, meet a few other guys from this site..if you ever get the chance to eat at a brazillian all you can eat steakhouse... do it!

bryan...... we will definately have to do some riding up there in north ga for sure..

the trip ended logging 4000miles on the scoot, and got to see DAC three nights in a row at the ironhorse!

Last edited by hotpursuit; 10-30-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

rob youre a cool guy.....hope to see you again real soon....and youre right, ed is fantastic....nice #'s there, congrats

Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Congrats Rob. That thing must really move out. Those HQ 120's are pretty damn consistent aren't they. Hoping I get the same quality tune up here at Latus Motors on my HQ 103. We'll see.

Zach

Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Congrats on getting your build and tune the way it should be. I had a hard time with my little build until I found the right tuner. I love it when a plan comes together.

Dennis

Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Rob, glad you got the tune RIGHT!!! And, also, it's a great testament to BIG motors that owners actually ride these monsters (anything with 151 ft. lbs of tq is a "MONSTER" in my book) and don't just barhop them--4,000 miles--outstanding.

Let Pirateeye, Kevin from HQ, and me know when you get near N. Georgia; would enjoy riding with you.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great story Rob. It is great when you finally "get it right". Just goes to prove that there are many more "poor" tuners out there than good ones and that too is why I am still running my DTT, but now that you and Phil have 'em tuned in on SERT, I have ordered a TTS Mastertune and will be able to use your VE and timing tables as a starting point until I can either get to Dallas to see Ed or go to Bethlehem to have JD tune it.

You have also verified that we do indeed ride these "monsters" day in and day out. I know last I talked with you , you were pushing 17k miles in about 5 months or so of riding, and I am just shy of 18k in the same time period.

Oh, and Bryan, if you do hook up and go riding with Rob, be prepared to be "drug" through the twisties, the boy can flat out ride!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was great to see both you guys (Rob & Dalton) over the last few weeks.

I'm really glad your tune worked out well, although I was certain it would. It's really difficult to describe the difference in a QUALITY SERT (or TTS, DirectLink, etc) tune as compared with the "auto tuners". I was totally sold on my DTT and on paper, the dyno results were as close to identical as they could possibly be. However, the "ride" is SOOOOO much better that I would never have believed it, had I not experienced it on MY bike...

Rob ~ The Brazillian joint is great and you can eat til ya explode, but Bryan & Mrs. Bryan took Dalton, Wifey, & I to Pappas Bros Steakhouse last week... HOLYSh1T!!!!!!! This is absolutely the best meal I've ever had. Guess you have another excuse to come back down.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was in Austin, we were going to go to a Brazilian steak house on 7th St I think it was like Dogo or Godo. We ended up at the Iron Cactus on 6th St, but I really wanted to go to the Brazilian place.

When I get my SERT, do I have to come down to Dallas to get it tuned as well? 2400 miles for a tune is a long way........LOL

I'm going to have Bean do mine for me, I talked with him today and went over things. Maybe next weekend if possible.

Steve

Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
When I was in Austin, we were going to go to a Brazilian steak house on 7th St I think it was like Dogo or Godo. We ended up at the Iron Cactus on 6th St, but I really wanted to go to the Brazilian place.

When I get my SERT, do I have to come down to Dallas to get it tuned as well? 2400 miles for a tune is a long way........LOL

I'm going to have Bean do mine for me, I talked with him today and went over things. Maybe next weekend if possible.

Steve
stop in pittsburgh, ill run with ya the rest if the way down... always up for a road trip..

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats who did my tune also.
Phil turned me on to him as well.
Thanks PhilM

Quick Reply: the dyno difference in texas... different? hell yeahh