Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08UC Cruise Control Blows Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
control_logic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08UC Cruise Control Blows Fuse

As you might have surmised, I have an 08 Ultra. It seems that after I wash the bike, the next ride or two after that, trying to engage the cruise causes the ignition fuse to blow. I had the dealer take a look at the first time it happened, that's how I knew it was the fuse. They informed me it was the ignition fuse, but couldn't find anything causing it. I know two of my options are to (1) don't use the cruise control or (2) don't wash the bike, neither of which are acceptable. I am planning on taking it in and leaving it as long as necessary, but I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen? I would just as soon fix it myself if it's not terribly expensive, since I really enjoy my 1 hour commute on the bike everyday.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check some of the other fuses to see if they have any corrosion on them. My acc fuse blew out and when i removed a few of them they all had some degree of corrosion on them so i changed all of them out and coated them with die electric grease. No problem since then. Might be worth a try.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would avoid spaying the left side cover and the handlebars around the switches which is pretty obvious but it sounds like your getting the fuse box or wires too wet. Are you using a pressure washer, if so be careful. Have you changed the grips or had anything else off recently? Make sure your wires on the handlebar are not pinched where they come out from the brake lever bracket and if you loosen put a piece of cardboard between the lever and the bracket.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
control_logic
Novice

Originally Posted by gmc
I would avoid spaying the left side cover and the handlebars around the switches which is pretty obvious but it sounds like your getting the fuse box or wires too wet. Are you using a pressure washer, if so be careful. Have you changed the grips or had anything else off recently? Make sure your wires on the handlebar are not pinched where they come out from the brake lever bracket and if you loosen put a piece of cardboard between the lever and the bracket.
I didn't think I had wet that area down too much, but who knows... I slathered dielectric gel all in the fuse block the first time it happened, so I'm thinking it could be in the bars. I haven't changed the grips or had any of the screws loose on the switch housings. the unpredictable nature of it makes it more difficult to diagnose for sure, sometimes I can wash it or it can sit in the rain while I'm at work and no problem, then like this episode, the day after washing it, and the next day as well. Maybe when the dealer has it they will wash it real good for me to make sure if that causes it!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Take everything apart and coat with dielectric grease,switches and fuses

Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

Does it do it when you turn the cruise on or when you try to set it with the handlebar switch? Mine would blow ignition fuse sometimes when cold after I backed it with the handlbars cranked to the left and tried to start it. I thought it was the starter relay or ground. The grips had slid towards the end and the handlebar clamp was pinching the wires where they fit in that little groove. Cruise has a separate fuse so it seems your short is when additional current is added. Did you gel the cruise connector? Also you have under the right side pannel the EFI relay and fuses, make sure they are not corroded. Let us know what is found.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Had a similiar problem on my old '06 RKC. Mechanic blamed it on the housing switch connection where CC sits only to find it was a blown fuse after 1.5 hours of searching here and there. He didn't know what the culprit was and applied dielectric grease on everything to ensure no futher problems. All's well after 3 years.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

So what did they find??

Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
palerider
Cruiser

Have your service department check the wiring under the front faring. I had the same problem with my 08 Ultra. The cruse control, ABS, stop light and the directional lights would all go out when I got the bike wet.(they are all on the same fuse)
The service department at Nashua Harley found a wire under the faring that had frayed and was causing a short. They repaired it under warranty and it’s been trouble free since then.