Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ponderosa Saddlebag locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ponderosa Saddlebag locks

Anybody install Road King Classic Saddlebag locks from Ponderosa Products?

http://harleydavidsonlocks.com/

Wanted to know if the install went easy and if any cutting or drilling is neccesary. Obviously, with a 2 number combination, they could easily be figured out, but looks like a great idea for a short period solution like bathroom breaks, whatever.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of the $50 ones, but they require drilling out the studs from the leather straps that retain the stock plastic snaps and anyone can still just cut the straps with a knife (but really - how many bikers have a knife strapped to their belt? hahaha).

I like the $180 ones since they don't rely on the straps, but they do rely on $180!

I generally just don't leave valuables in bags . . .

But if you're concerned about your bags being stolen there's a DIY in the DIY thread.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to bump it to see if anyone has installed these in the meantime. It seems like a very easy way to get a deterrent in place. (Obvioiusly if someone wants to cut the bag or straps, it won't stop them, but not much would.)

I found this video on the install process. It looks pretty easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rhc0bmuhXo

Is anone using thies things? What do you think?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I realize this is an old thread, but I want to bump it to see if anyone has installed these in the meantime. It seems like a very easy way to get a deterrent in place. (Obvioiusly if someone wants to cut the bag or straps, it won't stop them, but not much would.)

I found this video on the install process. It looks pretty easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rhc0bmuhXo

Is anone using thies things? What do you think?
Cold nasty day today, so I installed these on my RKC saddlebags. The only hard part was grinding out the old rivets. In the video I posted above it showed an install on the Heritage bags where the rivets were at the bottom of the bag so you could go at them with a regular drill. On the RKC, they are on the side and there isn't enough width to the bag to allow you to just drill them out without some accessories. So I had to get a right angle chuck adapter for my drill (about $20). With that and a Dremel grinding bit, the backs of the rivets came off relatively easily.

I know these will just slow somebody down a little if they are determined to get into my stuff and don't mind destroying the bags. But, it keeps some lazy thief from just popping open the bags to see if there is anything worth stealing inside.

Bottom line, I am happy with the purchase.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Harley Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit

I used the Harley Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit 90300003 on my wife's Road King Classic bags mounted on her 2009 Deluxe. The kit is keyed the same as her bike so no extra keys and they take very little bag space. Keep in mind, locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants your stuff they're going to take it, hell or high water.

The following users liked this post:
Enrico Frison (09-22-2021)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been selling a bunch of the Inertia Wrks lock sets with no complaints. I have yet to install a set myself as I have hard bags. When the saddlebag and tour pack locks are ordered at the same time they can be keyed alike. We have also keyed the locks to match the bags however we'd rather not do that as it requires having your key in our possesion. Since we use a local lock smith I suggest the end user do the same thing. As posted above, if someone really wants your stuff they are going to get to it.

Attached Thumbnails Ponderosa Saddlebag locks-rk11.jpg   Ponderosa Saddlebag locks-rk12.jpg   Ponderosa Saddlebag locks-rk10.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Q
I used the Harley Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit 90300003 on my wife's Road King Classic bags mounted on her 2009 Deluxe. The kit is keyed the same as her bike so no extra keys and they take very little bag space. Keep in mind, locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants your stuff they're going to take it, hell or high water.

I went with the Inertia locks shortly after starting this thread. I wish I had known about these as the Inertia's were hard to install, a bitch to get locked and one of them broke (lock jammed). I basically hardly ever use them with the fear that they will jam.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Inertia locks shortly after starting this thread. I wish I had known about these as the Inertia's were hard to install, a bitch to get locked and one of them broke (lock jammed). I basically hardly ever use them with the fear that they will jam.
Did you get the broken one replaced? Have you talked to Brent from I.W. 209-663-0569 (cell) as to why you may be having trouble? If they are on your bike they should be useable.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

I thought about the IntertiaWrx locks but decided against them because of the irreversible alterations that they require to the bags--removing and altering the trim piece, drilling multiple holes in the lid and bag, etc. One nice thing about the Ponderosa locks is that I can very easily put the stock latches back if I decide I don't like them. The other is that they are $51 (direct from Ponderosa) instead of $179 like the Inertias.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 02-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puzzled
Did you get the broken one replaced? Have you talked to Brent from I.W. 209-663-0569 (cell) as to why you may be having trouble? If they are on your bike they should be useable.
I needed a new spring which I bought myself ... it's not like real trouble, just a pain the *** to get them locked ... 2 times a lock jammed and I caught hell trying to get it unlocked. Because the bags are flexible, the lock catch never lines up correctly ... I don't have much patience for that sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Ponderosa Saddlebag locks