Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cleaning on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield cleaning on the road?

Wondering what the best ideas were to clean the windshield while traveling to keep from scratching the finish. Normally I use a towel and some of the windshield cleaner at the station. Then you have a wet towel to deal with and not sure if that's the best idea. Bike attracts bugs like a bug zapper in July.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Windshield cleaning on the road?

Those on baggers can carry cleaner and a rag with us. Usually clean it every gas stop unless no bugs.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

I carry a squirt bottle of HD Bug Remover and one of those microfiber rags. Spray it on, let it soak into the bug guts for a minute, then wipe them away. It really does loosen them up. $4.95 for a bottle at the stealership and will last for months, so it's not overly expensive. Some cleaners can remove the finish from the windshield so I've avoided everything else like the plague. This stuff is also save on the paint so you can use it on the fairing too if your on a glide.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
jjsanta
Tourer

I carry a rag, a small bottle of HD bug remover and small can of Plexus glass cleaner. Plexus works great on widshields, glasses and goggles. It comes in a tiny spray bottle a little larger than a stick of Chapstick. Sometimes I need the HD bug remover to melt off those big gooey bugs though...

Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a bottle of spray detailer, usually Meguires, and a microfiber cloth. Use it on every part of the bike, especially the windshield. Never use a detergent or glass cleaner because you will wreck the windshield over time. The spray detailer keeps it crystal clear, and also helps it repel bugs, dust, and rain.....to some degree.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
GrayRider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use the squeeji and fluid provided by the gas stations when I stop for gas.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:23 PM
MDMYMD
Road Captain

From one Grayrider to another. Just thought I'd say hi and as you can see, I have an RKCustom as well! I also carry a solution in my saddlebag for when it gets too bugged up. I always like to clean my lamps off as well.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Please, Please, Please, do not use the paper towels or squeegies from gas stations to clean your windshield! Why would you want to put someone elses dirt and oil back on your windsheild? Yuk! If you have the Lexan windshield (and most of us do) there is an easy method to follow:

1. Use a Microfiber towel (16 towels for about $10 at Costco). Soak it thoroughly with "hot" water (if available) and place it on the windshield for about one minute. This will help loosen the dead bugs.

2. Slowly wipe the windshield from top to bottom with the wet towel. Go back and rescrub some stubborn stain if necessary.

3. Flip the towel over to the clean(er) side, and repeat step #2 if needed. (Rerinse your towel).

4. Once dried, use any silicone spray wax or Lexan windshield wax and a clean microfiber towel to buff the windshield. This will leave a coat of wax on the plastic, so new bugs can be easily cleaned once you're at your destination.

You should be able to do this to your windshield often, and experience a minimum amount of scratches and dings to your windshield! This method was provided to me from a company that makes windshields for motorcycles. Hope this helps!

Da kahuna

ORIGINAL: msbhvn

Wondering what the best ideas were to clean the windshield while traveling to keep from scratching the finish. Normally I use a towel and some of the windshield cleaner at the station. Then you have a wet towel to deal with and not sure if that's the best idea. Bike attracts bugs like a bug zapper in July.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
cessnajo
Intermediate

i use plexus or any good plastic cleaner and a flanal shirt.Don't use paper towels.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Luck Dragon
Intermediate

Honda Cleaner polish with micro cloth, cleans windscreen, fairing, lowers, etc. Easy to care along. Just bought second can, First in Nov.

2006 Ultra

Quick Reply: Windshield cleaning on the road?