Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:17 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list

I have finished updating my '07 RG with the tour pak, intercom and cb installation. The reason for posting this is that the catalog is very confusing on what it takes to add these items to the bike. I have recorded all of the required items and a good estimated cost to make this conversion. I know many people of this web site have done the same thing, but I just want to add my experience so to make it easier for the next person. I done the installation myself with no problems. Basic hand tools and a little mechanical skill was all that was required.

The following is describing the installation for an '07 RG. I think this would be the same for all models equipped with the advanced Harmon/Kardon audio system. I want to clear the confusion up at this point. The advanced H/K audio has the intercom system built into the factory radio. There are no modules or additional boxes that go on to the bike for the intercom, it is already on the bike. Only for the CB is there an addtional module. To make the intercom functional, you will have to add the Ultra tour pak, with the rear speakers. After the installation, the bike has to be taken to the Harley dealer for them to "flash" download or (plug your bike into their computer to tell the radio to recognize that you have the intercom system installed) hence the Intercom System Flash P/N 76441-06/DT that shows up in the catalog as a required part for this installation.

PARTS-
ULTRA TOUR PAK $700 to $900 (Got mine on ebay for $650.00)
77155-06 Rear speaker kit $351.96
76416-06C CB RADIO MODULE $233.97
77136-03 CONSOLE POD ASSEMBLY $110.40
70169-06 NON ULTRA OVERLAY WIRING HARNESS $110.90
76400-09 TOUR PAK CB ANTENNA KIT $71.96
77440-06 INTERCOM KIT $72.00
The catalog list a 77173-07 COM SWITCH KIT. This kit is not needed. You only need the 77136-03 Console pod assembly. The part # for the pod assembly seemed to be wrong in the catalog and microphish from HD so make sure you are getting the right part. I also found that all of the other small items, such as screws and gaskets were not needed. Only the parts I have listed above are what I used. The prices I have listed are from Chicago Harley's on line catalog. The above prices were only good at the time I done my conversion. Also, if your on a shoestring budget, like myself, I would suggest shopping EBAY for these items. I want to point out to that I hard mounted my tour pak. Other items would be required for the quick detatch kit. You will need a tour pak rack to complete this. I bought mine on Ebay for $30.00. I do not have the part number. It consist of a tube frame and liscense plate mount that bolts directly to the rear frame of the bike. You can look on an Ultra and get a good picture of what you need.

INSTALLATION:
Remove saddle bags and seat, drain gas tank and remove. To remove gas tank, the main line is disconnected by simply pulling down on the fitting and pushing up to release the hose (similar to an air hose connection) and then unattaching the side transfer line at the front of the tank. Remove front outer shell of Faring. To remove fairing, remove the signal light stems (let them hang by wires) and 6 screws from dash. Place a blanket on front fender, lift up and pull on fairing. Set fairing on fender and unplug head lights. Next, remove the top of the long "Y" shaped wire raceway that runs on top of the frame. Install tour pak rack and rear speakers. Install CB module with screw on top of the AM/FM radio. Run speaker wires, passenger intercom wires, and cb antenna wire from tour pak up to dash. You may have to play with routing wires so that they will fit in raceway. Put raceway top back on. Put gas tank back on. Install the console pod assembly to top of tank. You will have to cut the sqare hole out of the existing console where the Road Glide emblem is at, to route the cable. The cable has to exit the front of the console (front of the tank). You will be required to cut some of the wrap back on the harness so that the rider intercom cable will reach the console pod cable. Next, take the overlay wiring harness and plug into their designated areas. All plugs were marked, with exception of 2 that were not used unless you are putting the hands free cell and XM radio option on the bike. There is one marked "interconnect harness" that plugs into the right hand side of a 6 pin cluster coming from the AM/FM radio. All others are self explanitory. Do not try to wire tie the harness in at this point. The reason for this is that you need to leave slack in ther harness to move around to get the faring back on. Even after getting the fairing on, the lights may not have room to go back in. This was the hardest part of the job. The lights have to be out so you can see where the faring hooks on to the frame. It may take a few times before you get it correct. Be patient at this point! If you drink or smoke, do it now! Do not put any screws into the fairing until you get the headlight in. You will have to come back and remove them if you can't get the headlight bezel to pop back in. After you have the head light back in place, put screws and signal lights back on. Put on seat and all remaing hardware. I would like to note that most of the parts came with some installation instructions.

Your rear speakers and CB will automatically work now. However, as stated above, the intercom will not work until you have it connected and Flashed at your local Harley Dealer. I have heard cost ranges from $50.00 to $100.00. I have not taken mine yet, but will add to this thread as soon as I do. I hope this helps those who want to or are thinking about this conversion for their Road Glide. All of the above info is for reference only. I have picture below of finished project. Yep, I added the lowers to.

(((((UPDATE))))) 12-6-08
I have taken my bike to the dealer and had the radio "flashed". The cost was $90.00 plus tax. Everything works fine.

Regards
Draft1

Attached Thumbnails Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list-p1010173-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by DRAFT1; 05-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post. Threads like this should be made into stickies so they are easy to find in the future. I'm sure it will help a lot of Road Glide owners like myself who are attempting to make their bikes into 'Ultra" Road Glides.
Thanks for taking the time to post everything we need. The part #s really help.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 11-11-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain

Have any of you noticed much if any... ride difference upon adding the tour pack?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post. I just bought a 07 RG and am wanting to add these items.

sporty06

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by kwoozn
Have any of you noticed much if any... ride difference upon adding the tour pack?
I can't say there is much difference. However, all previous bikes have had trunks or tour paks so I may be used to it. I can say that the lowers made a huge difference in wind coming from beneath. The lowers, for me, were worth the money.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! I don't have a RG, but I just wanted to tell you that you did a great job on that post.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great post! Thanks! If I can throw in my .02, when I added my chopped TP to my RG, I too did not notice much of any differerence in handling. I installed mine with a rigid mount, so once I got it on there it stayed on there for a while. I loved having it and the convienience it brought.

After a few months, I started looking for the stripped down look again. I took it off and am going to go with the Milwakee Bagger QD TP rack soon. Anyway, long story short, it's not very noticable when you add the TP. But, when you remove it, you really do notice the difference.

I know a lot of guys say they mount it and never remove it, but for me, I regret not going with the QD TP rack to begin with. It's great to have on, and the bike also feels great with out it too.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
09RoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post and is pretty much spot on with the research i've done so far. Only thing i think you are missing, and maybe im wrong is PN 76440-06 which is the wiring harness that plugs into the non-ultra overlay harness and has the plug on the other end for passenger headset. Do you already have the passenger headset provision?

Im also confused with the cb antenna kit 76400-09, which is for an 09 bike but you said you have an 07? Not sure why you did that is all. Is there some advantage?
Darrin

Last edited by 09RoadGlide; 11-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 09RoadGlide
Excellent post and is pretty much spot on with the research i've done so far. Only thing i think you are missing, and maybe im wrong is PN 76440-06 which is the wiring harness that plugs into the non-ultra overlay harness and has the plug on the other end for passenger headset. Do you already have the passenger headset provision?

Im also confused with the cb antenna kit 76400-09, which is for an 09 bike but you said you have an 07? Not sure why you did that is all. Is there some advantage?
Darrin
Darrin,
The passanger headset does plug into the new harness. It is labled on the harness. The 09 antenna kit was sent to me in error, but I used it anyway. The 09 antennas are shorter than the previous year models and made a little different. I went to HD dealer and got the matching AM/FM.
Thanks,
Draft1

Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

fantastic informative posts....and a great lookin RG to boot....congrats and enjoy

Quick Reply: Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list