Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unnecessary oil filter adapter!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Unnecessary oil filter adapter!

So I wanted to replace the useless ambient air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge and went to the catalog. There it is #75324-05 but the catalog say's "'07-later models require separate purchase of P/N 26133-07." So I order that too, around $70 if I'm not mistaken. After installing the gauge and the adapter (where the instructions say to screw the sending unit into) I start
running the wiring harness. Under the tank, down by the battery and back up the frame under the motor and.....whoops....it's about 5 or 6 inches short. After rereading the instructions, the ones that are about as clear as mud, I realize I have to run the harness down the front frame tube (yuck). Next day I check around here on HDF and realize that everyone else put the sender in the oil pan! Yay, now I realize I never needed the adapter!! So I call Chicago HD asking about returning an installed part (special circumstance due to misinformation in the catalog) and I'm told, "no, call H-D customer service" So, although I know where this is going to go, I do it. After what seemed like an eternity on the phone I was told (in fewer words) that I might as well spread some peanut butter on the $70 adapter and eat it. She tells me that HD determined that on '07 and newer bikes the oil filter adapter would give you more accurate temp readings than the pan. I'm not buying it, any truth to it?
Oh yeah, and I asked her where the sender went on '06 and older bikes.....no answer. As usual the buck stops nowhere!

Last edited by TexasSG; 11-13-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil pan is what is most accurate and also the easiest. The adapter is a way for Harley to get more of your hard earned money.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

There are some folks that believe there is only one way..the MoCo way..

Put the part on Ebay, somebody will buy it.

I have mine in the pan, I don't know if its more or less accurate, some folks say you need to know the temp when the oil leaves the crankcase. I think as long as you can get a consistent reading you can determine if its too hot.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some folks use them and some folks dont

Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have mine in the pan,but I think yours maybe a better way,wasn't around when I installed mine a couple of years ago,takes quite awhile for temps to register in the pan.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1
Some folks use them and some folks dont
I feel enlightened now. A Cornucopia of information you are.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
TODDNVAL
Tourer

Originally Posted by TexasSG
So I wanted to replace the useless ambient air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge and went to the catalog. There it is #75324-05 but the catalog say's "'07-later models require separate purchase of P/N 26133-07." So I order that too, around $70 if I'm not mistaken. After installing the gauge and the adapter (where the instructions say to screw the sending unit into) I start
running the wiring harness. Under the tank, down by the battery and back up the frame under the motor and.....whoops....it's about 5 or 6 inches short. After rereading the instructions, the ones that are about as clear as mud, I realize I have to run the harness down the front frame tube (yuck). Next day I check around here on HDF and realize that everyone else put the sender in the oil pan! Yay, now I realize I never needed the adapter!! So I call Chicago HD asking about returning an installed part (special circumstance due to misinformation in the catalog) and I'm told, "no, call H-D customer service" So, although I know where this is going to go, I do it. After what seemed like an eternity on the phone I was told (in fewer words) that I might as well spread some peanut butter on the $70 adapter and eat it. She tells me that HD determined that on '07 and newer bikes the oil filter adapter would give you more accurate temp readings than the pan. I'm not buying it, any truth to it?
Oh yeah, and I asked her where the sender went on '06 and older bikes.....no answer. As usual the buck stops nowhere!

I just installed it on my 09 Ultra, don't get excited about the wiring. All the wiring is is a switched hot wire and a ground, guess what? The useless air temp gauge has a hot and ground already there. I cut the air temp gauge plug off, I ran the oil temp guage wires the way I wanted them up the back of the frame so you don't see them and into the fairing, made sure I had enough length and cut the wires, soldered the hot and ground to the air temp hot and ground with the little wire ends for the oil temp gauge and it works just like it's supposed to. I hope this is clear enough, if not let me know and I'll try to do a little better. The purpose of the oil filter adapter is to get the oil temp sensor into a pressure point where the oil is continually flowing for a little more accurate reading. The oil pan is the simple install and I almost did it myself, and the temp probably won't read that much different but the oil pan is aluminum to help cool the oil with airflow under the bike, whether it would make a difference in the reading I don't know. The adapter you bought also has a second hole that's plugged if you ever want to add an oil cooler it goes right there.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TODDNVAL
I just installed it on my 09 Ultra, don't get excited about the wiring. All the wiring.........
......a difference in the reading I don't know. The adapter you bought also has a second hole that's plugged if you ever want to add an oil cooler it goes right there.

Yeah, I did the same with the power & ground and I understand the benefit of the proximity of the sending unit to the motor. I guess all I'm sayin is it would have been better to have the option. I would've gone without it, if the sending unit is in the pan then "correct" readings would be on the low side but would still be a baeline to judge from. Plus I wouldn't have sending unit wires going down my front frame tubes. I'm a "clean" freak and subscribe to the "less is more" theory.

My chopper handlebars after dewiring:

Attached Thumbnails Unnecessary oil filter adapter!-choppah07-006-2-.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the oil pan is the INCORRECT place to have the sending unit, then why does harley sell so many different types and styles of dipstick oil temperature gauges?

These go into the crankcase above the oil pan right?

I agree that the oil in the pan is probably the hottest, other than the oil actually lubricating the moving parts. And you can't put a sending unit there.

As fo a place to tie in the oil cooler, you can still do that with out the "Special" adapter.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
pled55
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasSG
I feel enlightened now. A Cornucopia of information you are.
glad someone beat me to it> funny

Quick Reply: Unnecessary oil filter adapter!