Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Exclamation HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties

I was informed by 2 local HD shops that they are starting to turn in VIN #s to HD that have aftermarket tuners installed on them aside from the SERT. End result is HD is voiding the remainder of factory warranties and extended warranties

Do any of you Harley Techs out there who read and collaborate on this board know for a fact if this is true or not?

Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by twedlake
I was informed by 2 local HD shops that they are starting to turn in VIN #s to HD that have aftermarket tuners installed on them aside from the SERT. End result is HD is voiding the remainder of factory warranties and extended warranties

Do any of you Harley Techs out there who read and collaborate on this board know for a fact if this is true or not?
This is why you do your own wrenching and save your OEM take off parts. If it has to go in for warranty work, put it back to stock. My bike will never see the inside of the dealers service area unless the motor blows up under warranty!!!!

If what your saying is true, HD is stooping to an all time low......

Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a direct violation of law. They cannot void your warranty because you have aftermarket parts installed. If you have a failure CAUSED by that Aftermarket part, they can deny the repairs, but they cannot deny your warranty for any other parts of your bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (04-15-2023)
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
This is why you do your own wrenching and save your OEM take off parts. If it has to go in for warranty work, put it back to stock. My bike will never see the inside of the dealers service area unless the motor blows up under warranty!!!!

If what your saying is true, HD is stooping to an all time low......

I've heard stories about the warranty issue and here in Calif, they've really clamped down if the bikes been mod.

Here you play hell finding a dealer who will do performance upgrades due to the C.A.R.B regs.

Seems the Calif Air Resource Board filed suit against H.D. and has most dealer scared to even do Stage 1's.

Good advise on doing your own wrenching and keeping the OME parts or find yourself a good indy.

Krusr

Last edited by krusr; 11-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Gutman
Road Master

C.A.R.B. sued Dynojet for millions too. This is not a Factory supported incident. This is a Dealer incident. I have had no notification of this. Harley is cracking down on recalls. They want every Dealer to run every VIN of every bike at your dealership servicing or not to complete outstanding recalls. Harley already knows every bike that has a download and any time it is hooked to the Digital Tech, that information can be collected by the MOCO. The new Race and Super Tuners have this information stored in the ECM that the MOCO can collect.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Think about it...if some yo-yo thinks he's a tuner and smokes the engine while adjusting his tune, or if an aftermarket tune is wrong and blows the engine-how is that HD's responsibility?

BTW, they can tell pretty easily if you have ever modified the tune.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,044 Likes on 7,961 Posts

Yes, times are getting hard for the MOCO.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gutman
C.A.R.B. sued Dynojet for millions too. This is not a Factory supported incident. This is a Dealer incident. I have had no notification of this. Harley is cracking down on recalls. They want every Dealer to run every VIN of every bike at your dealership servicing or not to complete outstanding recalls. Harley already knows every bike that has a download and any time it is hooked to the Digital Tech, that information can be collected by the MOCO. The new Race and Super Tuners have this information stored in the ECM that the MOCO can collect.
^^^ 100% correct.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
JacktheBagger
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have no intention of doing a tune via them , however , I wonder how a plug n play like Xied will fall in to this ..

Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConnMan

BTW, they can tell pretty easily if you have ever modified the tune.
Am I correct in thinking that use of a PCIII is not detectable once it's been removed?

Quick Reply: HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties