Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset the security system

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am learning a lot from this. That is a pretty complex procedure to follow to get the bike started with no Fob present. I guess that is a good thing, since it should be hard to steal a bike.

But if it gets any harder, you may have to sacrifice a goat and do a little dance to get riding again...

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
I did try, it wouldn't come off where it was stuck no matter what I tried. I'd turn the ignition on and there was the code on the ododmeter. No trick would clear it, make it change, let me move the numbers, nothing. It was just hung up on that spot
no, i meant after you cleared the code, try the procedure again and see if it gets 'stuck' again. i mean, as long as you have everything torn apart, it would be no big deal to unplug the speedo again.

if it does, then you have something that you can take to the dealer and say 'fix it'.... (if you still have time on your warranty, that is)

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Dave G
Stage IV

Have been following this thread with real interest because...if I don't get this thing figured out, I'll be trailering the bike to a local HD dealer come Spring.
Anyhow, I bought the bike used (FLSTSC), '03 and it's been flawless until I accidentally triggered the security alarm (former owner did not record number which was set and I did not even know it had a security system! (I know, dumb de dumb dumb). It would have been nice if he had recorded the number in the owner's manual, or told me what it was, or given a heads up that one even existed, but too late now.
Anyhow, while replacing the battery after recharging, I did something to trigger the alarm and cut off the fuel pump. Apparently, I need to reprogram the system. So now I know a code was programmed, but what I don't know is the code ...or if the procedure that Spike found will work for me. BTW, no "smart fob" so will use the signal switches.
If that ign. on-off-on-off-on then left blinker twice-then right button once works, and I see the number in the oddometer window, I'm hoping that entry of that number will restore things to operating again.
BTW, that procedure is about identical to "Modifying Existing Codes" in the Owners Manual...what I don't know is if I can re-enter the old code or replace it with one of my own choice. I had a dealer tell me it could not be done because otherwise somebody who knew the trick could simply enter the code and steal the bike.
I guess time will tell... . Meantime, any thoughts on whether I'm on the right track would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Dave G

Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dave G
I had a dealer tell me it could not be done because otherwise somebody who knew the trick could simply enter the code and steal the bike.

Dave G
i dont know about the 'older' bikes, the only security system i've dealt with is on my 07 with the smart fob. however, i think your dealer is full of doo doo. in order to modify the existing code, the key fob has to be present. so unless the thief has your key fob with him, he wouldn't be able to modify the code. and if he had the key fob, he wouldn't need to change the code, he could just start it and go.....

on the 07, if you follow the procedure to change your code, before you start changing, it will show you what code you have stored.

do you have the owner's manual? it should go pretty in depth about the security system in there.

good luck

Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Dave G
Stage IV

Hey Skratch,
Thanks for the reply, and I think you're right. So's your logic re. the key fob. The manual is pretty detailed and I'm going to try the procedure (as soon as it warms up a little--it's freakin' 18 degrees below zero and my garage is not heated!)
Oh yeah, Minnesnowta, gotta love it!
Dave G

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rc9636
Have you tried calling your dealer and asking them?????
Too easy an answer, so it probably wouldn't work!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rc9636
Have you tried calling your dealer and asking them?????
Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Too easy an answer, so it probably wouldn't work!
i like to see stuff in black and white, remember the dealer is the one who told you that synthetic oil was 'too slippery and would cause bearing skate'.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Dave G if the other owener did not ghange the code the factory code is all ones as
1-1-1-1-1 did you try that.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Dave G
Stage IV

Hi Leon,
Nope, I've tried nothing so far due to the fact that I'm allergic to working in below zero temps. Now you just might have something there...the guy I bought the bike from was very thorough in all other details, so it seems kind of odd that he'd omit this one-unless, as I noted to others, he simply forgot-you know, sort of a "set it and forget it" mentality. So maybe nothing was changed from the factory setting? Well, we'll find out-we'll find out...temps are headed upwards, and I'm anxious to get this taken care of ASAP. Will post results.
Thanks to all for suggestions.
Dave G

Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
i like to see stuff in black and white, remember the dealer is the one who told you that synthetic oil was 'too slippery and would cause bearing skate'.
I'm with you on that one. I too would rather figure it out myself or ask for help here on the forum. I said what I said as a joke only.

I changed my security code on my bike's security system. Everyone should. Otherwise the default will work and any "would be" thief will know the default code too!

Quick Reply: Reset the security system