Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I Without ECM Download 09 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Stage I Without ECM Download 09 Ultra

I am in a quandary here with my 09 Ultra with Monster Ovals. I am thinking of installing a HD Stage I kit (part# 29260-08) but I am hesitating on the HD ECM download. According to the 2009 motor accessories book, SE section, the ECM download says:

"Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow the bike to rev up to 6200 RPM." OK I not really too eager to rev my motor past 4K RPM, much less 6200 RPM

1. Stage I kit is 50 state street legal - no warrantee issues going forward
2. ECM download recommended - per above "recalibration to match performance pipes"
3. Screaming Eagle pipes, when added will match steps 1 & 2 above.

Now being aware about all the discussions about warrantee issues on this forum with some SE performance kits and third party "FUEL TUNERS", I called and talked to the one of the local service manager and discussed my options, and he said Stage I kit is OK, and will not affect warrantee, he also recommended the ECM download and SE pipes.

When I mentioned that I have the V&H Monster Ovals, he said oh that's kind of a gray area and may not match the Stage I and ECM due to non SE pipes.

We then discussed the use of third party "fuel tuners" and he said it will definitely affect and void standing warrantee as this is products represent tampering with EPA requirements.

So to cut through the chase, and to stay within the legal bounds of my 2 year warrantee:

- Can I just do the stage 1 kit and forgo the ECM download since it does not match my V&H MO anyway? Will this kit make an already lean bike leaner?

- Or do I just keep the stock air cleaner and wait until the 2 year warrantee expires and let go crazy on the PCV or V&H fuelpak?

- DC

Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Or you could do the Stage 1 air cleaner and an SE Pro Super Tuner for a fuel management.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the stage 1 and a PCV. Install it yourself. Keep all parts you take off. If you run into any problems with you engine put all the stock stuff back on. Should not take long to do.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was disappointed in the performance of my stock 09 UC. I had the super tuner on order but it was not out yet so I had them do the stage 1 download along with my Rush slipons and SE AC. These mods really woke this bike up. Runs like a scalded ape as it is. I cancelled the Super Tuner because it is running so good. I will wait and see what is up with the PCV. If I were you I would add the air cleaner and stage 1 download. Even if it does not match you pipes. It will richen up you mixture and greatly improve performance until the other tuners come out. I would not run MO pipes and high flow AC with out at least the stage 1 download. It will be to lean. Do a search, there are many on this forum that have the 09 download and are real happy with it - at least for now until the other tuners come out.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM
martin1
Cruiser

As much as the HD stage 1 download is bad mouthed on this forum It could still be the best solution for a lot of riders. If all you are going to do is change the mufflers and the air cleaner I would certainly try this route. And your bike may run just fine. It appears that most dealers are trying to sell the supertuner and dyno time because it is a big profit maker for them. That gets expensive real quick. My last dresser had the HD stage 1 down load with HD mufflers and air cleaner. The bike ran great. I just could not leave well enough alone so I bought a PCIII and dyno time from a good tuner. Cost me about $500.00 dollars. I gained almost nothing in HP/Torque but did lose a couple of MPG. I tried to fix what wasnt broke. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

You could also throw a TTS mastertune on it for the programming (do it yourself) and return to the stock map if needed.. Dealer wouldnt know the better

Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM
bartb1200
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 09 Street glide with monster ovals and screaming eagle heavy breather and my dealer had no problems doing the download.It is amazing the difference,My buddy has a stck 103 eg and cant get near me he is going for the stage 1 soon

Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I heard that downloads were not avaiable for the 2009s?? How much was the download?? Does that richen the bike and reduce the heat? MOST IMPORTANT, does it maintain the factory HD warranty for sure???

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martin1
As much as the HD stage 1 download is bad mouthed on this forum It could still be the best solution for a lot of riders. If all you are going to do is change the mufflers and the air cleaner I would certainly try this route. And your bike may run just fine.
I agree completely. I have an 09 Ultra, with the SE A/C, Kerker slipons and download. Bike runs great, no issues at all, and I get 42 MPG. My initial thoughts were to try this, then add the Super Tuner and dyno at a later date if needed, but I don't think I ever will.

I had the ThunderMax on my last bike, it didn't run any better, but the MPG was way worse.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding of the download is that it does nothing below 4000 RPMs and increases the Rev Limit to 6200 rpms. So unless your riding is over 4000 rpms I see no gain. It will not override the 02 sensors and the bike will still be lean at 14.7-8 to 1 below 4000 rpms. Over 4000 rpms the bike goes into open loop and will fatten up by itself. Doc

Quick Reply: Stage I Without ECM Download 09 Ultra