Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new RG, first impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up My new RG, first impressions...

Well, I picked it up on Thursday night and took it out for the first time on Saturday Morning. The weather here is only 1 or 2 degrees above 0C (34F) so it's a bit chilly. There is some ice and snow on the edges of some of the side roads but it's easy to avoid.

So I putted around town for the obligatory 80km break in period, making sure I didn't lug the engine or gas it too much. Took it real easy. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks though, the first thing I did when I took off the first time was switch up through the first few gears without pulling in the clutch. We don't do that on dirt bikes. But I guess it's hard on the gears on the big bikes, is it? It switches nice, better than I expected. Also inadvertantly tested out the ABS, preoccupied trying to figure out the radio and noticed the light ahead switch red. So, hard on the back brake and the ol ABS started pulsating, just gave a bit more pressure on the front and no problem. Was still getting used to the controls.

Sunday, I took it for a longer ride. Put about 400km on it. So I gave it a good run. Varied the speed like it says in the manual, still in the break in period. I typically ran it at about 120 km/hr (72mph) but varied it from 100-140km/hr at times (60-84mph).

I understand why they call it the road glide. It does just that, glides down the road. No wobble, shudder, rock or roll at all. Just glides along smoothly, very nice. I hit some winds, some head winds, and some side winds, nothing too severe, but the bike didn't even flinch, just kept on gliding. I really liked it.

Some observations....
- The windshield seems a bit low. I'm 6'1" It seems my face was always in the wind. I haven't bought a new helmet yet so I'm still using my old open face motocross helmet (with peak). I think I'll either need a full face helmet or a taller windshield.
- They have the position of tuner switch for the stereo and the cruise control switch reversed!! You set the stereo once, maybe switch stations every hour or so, so you don't need that button beside your thumb. But you're always hitting the cruise switch. Accelerating, coasting, resuming. You have to reach across the radio tuner button to get at the cruise switch. Because of that, sometimes I accidently switched stations. So It's a pain to retune back to what you were listening to. This was a bit of a pain, but then again I was wearing my ski gloves, In the summer I don't think this will be a problem.
- The cruise control is excellent. I've never used cruise on a bike before and I love it. I like that you can break the cruise by turning the throttle back. It just seems natural, your hand it there anyway. I always thought it was really dumb that in my GM truck you have to touch the brakes to kill the cruise. The brake lights come on, you wear the brakes for no reason, doensn't make sense. GM needs a switch, like Harley, to kill the cruise.
- Lots of get up and go. No need to knock it down a gear. Just a twist of the gasser, the pipes start rumbling and way you go. Really smooth. I have the stage 1, installed when I bought it. Very nice power band.
- Looks good! My wife said I look like a cop. haha. I notice a few folks looking as the traffic was cruising past in the other lane. I even saw someone sneak a picture of me with their cell phone cam. It's a nice looking machine, the RG is.
- I didn't use the heal shifter at all until I got back to the city. Then I realized my legs were half frozen and shifting up with my toe wasn't working very well. So stepping down with the heal helped. So on that topic, anyone have experience with the soft lowers on the RG?
- The only issue I can think of right now is the position of the antenna. I bought a detachable sissy bar with the attached luggage rack. The antenna actually has to come up through the luggage rack. How do others handle this. I feel like just bending that little metal bracket with a pair of pliers, but that doesn't seem like the harley way.

So, in conclusion, all in all, very satisfied. I feel it's a safe bike, very stable on the HW. I just hope the wife is comfortable on the back. She hasn't tried it yet, something about being too cold outside. Myself, I was born in an igloo and raised in a snowbank, impervious to cold.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM
domeix235b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide

Welcome to the family. Just get HD's antenna relocation kit to lower the antenna. Easy installation and reception is perfect. The antenna is completely clear when I add my detachable luggage rack along with my T-Bag.

Vivid Black - Color matched inner faring
Screamin Eagle Stage II - 103 ci 255 cams
TTS MasterTune
HD Premium Oil Cooler
Vance & Hines Ovals
Hawg Wired CX504 speakers and 1502 amp
XM Radio
HD Conquest GPS
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Bagger-Brace Stabilizer
Glide Pro Bushings
Harley Pillow Seat and Detachable Backrest (Cross country setup)
Linbar Highway Bar
Soos Floorboard Extensions
TopShop 3" extended bags (Paint by Spade Bros. HB CA)
Lighted Rear Fascia
Street Glide Wheels

Attached Thumbnails My new RG, first impressions...-left-side-2_1_1.jpg   My new RG, first impressions...-rear.jpg   My new RG, first impressions...-right-side.jpg  

Last edited by domeix235b; 10-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
OH Bob
Cruiser
Smile Roadglide Windshield

You mentioned that the stock H-D windshield was a little too low. Might want to look at a Clearview windshield, with a slight flip on the top edge, which is what I put on my 2006 Roadglide. I just received mine last month and after a quick 3,000 miles trip, I am very pleased with it. They can be found at clearviewshields.com, phone # 800-798-6089.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD also makes a tall windshield.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM
trippy57
Cruiser

Don't know about the flexible chaps, but check these out......they're on my winter "to do" list. www.hoggchopps.com

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the clearview windshield. You can get different heights + its 3/16 thicker instead of 1/8. Big difference in vibration issues from wind at high speed. Anyway, welcome to the "secret society". You will love the rg...and ride safe

Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OH Bob
You mentioned that the stock H-D windshield was a little too low. Might want to look at a Clearview windshield, with a slight flip on the top edge, which is what I put on my 2006 Roadglide. I just received mine last month and after a quick 3,000 miles trip, I am very pleased with it. They can be found at clearviewshields.com, phone # 800-798-6089.

Yep..

Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Sweet bike, ain't it?

I'm 6' even and the stock windshield is at least an inch if not more too low. I plan to replace it before spring with a 1" taller from Clearview. You'll get used to those switches too once they become second nature to you. What color did you get?? Post some pics...

I had to put the antenna relo kit on mine because I added the saddle bag trim rails.

Check out these lowers, they're excellent:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/290532-very-nice-lowers.html

Last edited by RODEO; 11-24-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

I got the HoggChopps and they work very well. I HIGHLY recommend getting the VTwin heat deflectors on the sponsored link to the right.

http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

After adding the HoggChopps the backs of my legs are cooking even in the cold weather.
I used the soft lowers and they worked but it was a pain taking them off and on every time the temp got above 50. They are cheap tho

Originally Posted by trippy57
Don't know about the flexible chaps, but check these out......they're on my winter "to do" list. www.hoggchopps.com

Old 11-24-2008, 02:25 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OH Bob
The Clearview is probably better - I should know soon, I ordered mine 2 months ago! The HD tall isn't bad, but I catch a lot of wind noise in my ears. I'm a couple of inches taller, and if I scrunch down an inch, the wind noise diminishes.

If you want a Clearview, figure at least two months lead time. Order by Christmas, have it by Easter!

Last edited by 2011 Road Glide Ultra; 11-24-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: My new RG, first impressions...