Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09' low-speed handling question

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
pxs130
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 one on every post... except the DVD. I haven't watched it, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to get it.

I had a Super Glide and upgraded to a Road King a few years ago. The Dyna was a big bike for me when I had it (my first bike and I'm not that tall). When I got on my Road King, the Dyna felt like a Schwinn, and the RK felt like a Sherman Tank. It's all going to come together when you feel comfortable on your bike and you get the technique right.

After some parking lot practice, you shouldn't have trouble with low-speed cornering on either bike. Don't fight physics, you'll never win.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CruzN
I have an 09 FLHT and it turns on a dime.
I bought 'Ride Like a Pro' DVD and it has some good tips on slow turns.
Ride the clutch, keep the rpm's up, and some press on the rear brake.
I was amazed how the tips really helped me.
I'd been riding for 40 years and it took me three lanes to do a u turn
till I watched this DVD. With a little practice I can do the tightest u turns without putting my foot down.

I know most guys say I've been riding for year and know how to ride.
But this really helped me.

I did the same DVD review 4 years ago - Ride like a PRO.

I now pass the DVD around to any friends who indicate they hate slow speed maneuvers. They come back to me with the light bulb on bright to the techniques!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
I know there's going to be a huge difference in weight between my Dyna Super Glide and a Road King. Since I've not had the opportunity to test drive an RK my question is - how much difference between the two in low-speed cornering? I've read that the new touring models turn on a dime for their size. Does the fatter front tire on the RK help or hinder?
When I bought my first FLH (an RK) in '96 I had a '95 Dyna Convertible, and was going to keep the Dyna because I thought I would be more nimble around town. Within a few days I realized I wasn't riding the Dyna at all and the RK was actually easier to handle in slow-speed situations, which is partially due to the low rake angle (RK 26°, Dyna 28°). I sold the Dyna soon thereafter and never had the feeling I needed something smaller for any reason. I think you'll feel a difference in weight at first, but you'll adjust quickly.

Now with an '07 SG I marvel at how well these big bikes handle at slow speeds. I haven't let either the RK or SG fall over but one time in about 10 years, the only time a year ago when I got off the SG after forgetting to extend the kickstand. No damage except to my ego, and nobody saw me do it.

Last edited by iclick; 11-26-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by barjbar
The "Ride Like a Pro" is the best learning source I've ever had. Well worth the money.
I have been riding for about ten years, then got the "Ride LIke a Pro" DVD and couldn't believe how much I learned. It's unbelievable what those guys can do on EG's once you know how to do it - then practice practice practice.

I use the techniques every day now. Can't believe how long I rode without knowing how to ride slow and safe.

Four thumbs up for this DVD.