General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Bound
I used this when I bought my FLHX in February.

http://cyclecost.com/harley.htm
how suit work out for u. Any example. You can give.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

On cell phone. How did it work out for you. Any example?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Bound
I used this when I bought my FLHX in February.

http://cyclecost.com/harley.htm
2010 is the latest invoice data I found at this site. Anyone know of a reliable source of invoice info for a 2012 ultra limited?
Thanks.

Last edited by TennesseeEG; 08-07-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
dynadave1
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Invoice prices

For invoice prices goto www.seedealercost.com. Then click on power sports and then lick on harley-davidson. Search for your model.

And another thing, with ALL the dealers selling for MSRP would this be considered price fixing which is against the law?

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (07-17-2017)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dynadave1
And another thing, with ALL the dealers selling for MSRP would this be considered price fixing which is against the law?
I guess this means it is the end for McDonalds.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

when i bought my 2011 flhx i knew what i wanted to pay and called 14 dealerships and told them exactly what i wanted and was willing to pay and what i was going to put down to finance. In the end Ocean County HD came through. I was in and out of the dealership with the bike in around 3hrs which included a little extra shopping spree since they offered my a discount on anything i purchased for the next 30days on top of the public safety discount. And i paid the bike off 3 months later

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Too complicated. My method for over 130 vehicle purchases in my life was to offer an amount I was willing to pay total. Many times a dealer would not accept. Sometimes it took several dealers. But I always got what I wanted as I knew there was money in it for them.

Paying cash is the only way. Folks who will buy if the monthly amount is so much are taken to the cleaners every time.

By the way price fixing is between competitors and not within a company.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 AM
COBRA90GT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

...For invoice prices goto www.seedealercost.com. Then click on power sports and then lick on harley-davidson...
Haven't seen that website before, appreciate the link - will have keep that one handy for future usage!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For invoice prices goto www.seedealercost.com. Then click on power sports and then lick on harley-davidson. Search for your model.

Cheers
Thanks very much for this link. Homework/Knowledge is power.
Very helpful. Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM
prowler58
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubadog
I have read a lot of posts on buying new bikes and people wondering if they are getting a good deal.

I am an ex-salesman. Made a lot of $$$ and hated the job. So here is my ten dollars worth of opinion and what I’d suggest. Some may like it and some may not. That’s what public forums are all about. What a country!!

New Vehicle Purchase: 101

Do all of your research and decide on the exact “TOTAL OUT THE DOOR” deal you want. Write it on the back of a business card.

Go into the dealer one hour before closing. Ask for the sales manager and tell him or her that you have done all of your research and that you know exactly what you want and that no sales are necessary. Give the business card to the sales manager and ask him or her to please call your cell before the end of TODAY if they decide to accept your offer. Tell them that you might change your mind tomorrow or you might continue shopping around with other dealers, but that THIS is the ONLY deal that you will make TODAY. Tell them that you are RESPECTING them by being HONEST and by telling them exactly the deal you are willing to commit to RIGHT NOW to make a deal TODAY. Tell them that you will RESPECT them by being totally HONEST with them and ask them to RESPECT you by being totally HONEST with you. Ask them to RESPECT you by not having you sit in an office while they “see what they can do” and to RESPECT you by NOT calling you or bothering you with ANY deal that is other than the exact deal you are willing to make TODAY. Then politely thank them for their time and head for the car, but take a minute to look at a few bikes on the way out. If you get to the car and drive away without them calling you back in then you will have gained valuable information and confirmed that your offer is a deal they cannot possibly make. Or.. You might get your deal. You can always go back tomorrow. I promise that you will not hurt their feelings or otherwise jeopardize the process of you giving them your money on another day.

Here’s the simple truth. It is the dealer’s job to sell the bike for as much as they can get and it is your job to buy the bike for as little as you can. A salesman’s responsibility is to make money for his family and a buyer’s responsibility is to save money for his family. It’s as simple as that. All of the sparring and BS that goes into a new purchase is completely fair game for both parties. This purchase should be strictly business, no emotions and no guilt trips. Always remember that the seller invented the game, made all of the rules, has home-court advantage and has paid off the review judge in the instant replay booth.

A Harley salesman is no different than any other new vehicle salesman. The job by nature is designed for them to benefit by intentionally providing you with false information. So for arguments sake, let’s just say that intentionally providing false information is lying. If dealers do not like this word they can solve the issue by placing a bottom line price-tag on every bike and that would be it. But in the real world, the sales manager instructs the salesman to be ‘less than honest” with you about the “BEST” deal he can make. I know that sounds harsh and all of the Defenders of the Dealers will cry foul. But vehicle salespersons and sales managers will not tell the truth 99.99% of the time and here is a simple test to prove it. Walk into any dealer and ask for the sales manager. Tell him that you are here to make an HONEST deal and that if he RESPECTS you by being completely HONEST with you, that you will RESPECT him by being completely HONEST with him. He will say OK. Ask him to please RESPECT you and tell you the very best deal he can make you on an 09 Ultra with ABS and security. Once he gives you the number tell him that you will make the deal RIGHT NOW if he takes off $300 and throws in a free 1000mi service. Write your offer on a business card, politely thank him for his time and head for the door. I guaranty that you will never make it to the car, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why?? Because the sales manager did not RESPECT your request to tell you the best deal he can make. Dealers will call this process “negotiations” and I agree that it sounds a lot less harsh than “Lying”. Whatever you want to call it, you have the power to eliminate all of it by making it CRYSTAL CLEAR that you are not here to negotiate. You are here to make a firm HONEST offer and you are simply asking for HONESTY and RESPECT. If the salesman continues to “negotiate” or “sell” then politely stop him and calmly explain what you meant by “RESPECT”.

A Dealer has a right to make a profit. A buyer has a right to pay whatever he wants. For every Wolf that makes a deal this month there will be a Sheep that paid $2,000 more for the exact same bike. It is YOU that must choose between being the Sheep or the Wolf. The sheep are easy to spot. They spend all day at the dealer negotiating a “deal”. Once that deal is done the Sheep will typically grab their ankles and walk backwards over to the chrome department.

If you are worried about developing a lasting and loving relationship with your dealer than have some pizzas and beer delivered after you make your deal.
thanks , Im putting my plan together for an 18 Limited, this helps . Bob

Quick Reply: How To Buy a NEW Harley: 101