Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New problem with stereo sound quality

Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New problem with stereo sound quality

No, I don't mean improving the sound quality with aftermarket amps or speakers, but to avert a new problem I've run across. I've been using an HD 3/4 helmet for the past 2½ years and it not only fits well but allows full frequency response with little decrease in volume from the HK stereo. I also have HT speakers and amp.

I recently purchased a Shoei 3/4 helmet mostly for its better method of installing a face shield, and have run across an unexpected problem. It suppresses noise like earplugs, and most high frequencies from the stereo are now inaudible, letting only some midrange and most of the bass through. It fits well, although is a bit tighter than the HD helmet, as I would expect being new.

The question is, has anyone else run across this problem and is there is a practical fix? If I pull back the foam toward the front of my ears it helps, but I'm not sure how to do that permanently. I also tried using a 2" piece of 1/2" ID plastic tubing between the foam and the side of my face, which also helped, but that doesn't seem like a good solution either.

My head unit doesn't have an output jack for helmet speakers and I don't want to deal with wires anyway. Any ideas? I'd prefer keeping this helmet, but I need to hear my tunes!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at the inside of your first helmet is there any foam by the ears? if not you will have to remove foam from new helemet to match what the old looks like. foam deadens sound,there realy isn't much else to do

Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
No, I don't mean improving the sound quality with aftermarket amps or speakers, but to avert a new problem I've run across. I've been using an HD 3/4 helmet for the past 2½ years and it not only fits well but allows full frequency response with little decrease in volume from the HK stereo. I also have HT speakers and amp.

I recently purchased a Shoei 3/4 helmet mostly for its better method of installing a face shield, and have run across an unexpected problem. It suppresses noise like earplugs, and most high frequencies from the stereo are now inaudible, letting only some midrange and most of the bass through. It fits well, although is a bit tighter than the HD helmet, as I would expect being new.

The question is, has anyone else run across this problem and is there is a practical fix? If I pull back the foam toward the front of my ears it helps, but I'm not sure how to do that permanently. I also tried using a 2" piece of 1/2" ID plastic tubing between the foam and the side of my face, which also helped, but that doesn't seem like a good solution either.

My head unit doesn't have an output jack for helmet speakers and I don't want to deal with wires anyway. Any ideas? I'd prefer keeping this helmet, but I need to hear my tunes!
Bob.....I am assuming you have he RJ Platinum? Anyway, that is what I have. I don't know if you have tried this already, but unsnap the earpiece and the foam molding( behind the white snaps) will come out completely. Or, you can trim as much as you want and snap the earpiece back.

Also, I did not care for the face shield on the 3/4. It seemed to direct too much cold air up to my face. (Bad sinuses) So...........I did my own little fix and bought the Shoei Mult-tec..........LOL

Hope this helps,

Ben

Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it would help you hear the high frequencies, but half moon windshields claim to make stereo easier to hear.

Try this website if your interested http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/

Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
flgator529
Tourer

I have found the same thing with my helmets. I am sure you have tried this but just in case, It helped to turn up the treb. all the way up and turn down the bass almost all the way. Sounds shrill without the helmet but better with it on.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MODCOBRA
Bob.....I am assuming you have he RJ Platinum? Anyway, that is what I have. I don't know if you have tried this already, but unsnap the earpiece and the foam molding( behind the white snaps) will come out completely. Or, you can trim as much as you want and snap the earpiece back.
I have the RJ-Air Platinum. The other day I slipped a wire-tie around the front of each foam earpiece creating a small gap that allows more treble to enter. It is an acceptable solution but I will try your suggestion of trimming some foam. I didn't know the earpiece unsnapped on this helmet and will experiment with that. What did you do? I would think removing the earpiece entirely might let too much noise or cold air in, and you need some for the helmet to fit snugly against your face. The foam in this helmet is surrounded by a mesh material and I would think you would need to cut it to trim the foam. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Also, I did not care for the face shield on the 3/4.
I only plan on using the face shield in rain, and that is the reason I bought this helmet. Changing the old HD helmet's face shield was a complex ordeal that you don't want to engage in as a thunderstorm bears down on you and you have other things to do quickly, like put on the rain gear. The Shoei's shield snaps on quickly and the visor can snap on top of the shield. The HD helmet could only fit one or the other.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by flgator529
I have found the same thing with my helmets. I am sure you have tried this but just in case, It helped to turn up the treb. all the way up and turn down the bass almost all the way. Sounds shrill without the helmet but better with it on.
That was my first effort at a fix which helped, but not enough. This helmet is quite effective at muffling sound, which may be advantageous to some, but not if you want to hear external speakers. See my reply above for the fix that provided some improvement. Tomorrow I'm going to try Modcobra's suggestion of removing the earpieces and modifying them.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ucommbxny
look at the inside of your first helmet is there any foam by the ears? if not you will have to remove foam from new helemet to match what the old looks like. foam deadens sound,there realy isn't much else to do
To my knowledge all 3/4 and FF helments have foam around the ears, as it is needed to provide a tight fit to your face. The old helmet has a similar if not identical arrangement but just doesn't fit as tight, perhaps due to age.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

[QUOTE=iclick;4176411]I have the RJ-Air Platinum. The other day I slipped a wire-tie around the front of each foam earpiece creating a small gap that allows more treble to enter. It is an acceptable solution but I will try your suggestion of trimming some foam. I didn't know the earpiece unsnapped on this helmet and will experiment with that. What did you do? I would think removing the earpiece entirely might let too much noise or cold air in, and you need some for the helmet to fit snugly against your face. The foam in this helmet is surrounded by a mesh material and I would think you would need to cut it to trim the foam. I'll look at it tomorrow.

[/QUOTE

If you look closely at the 'mesh' material, you will see some elongated slots at the white snaps. You can slide this 'mesh' away from the snaps and the entire foam piece sets in between this 'mesh' and cloth felt. I removed mine completely but will be experimenting with foam trimming.

Ben

Old 11-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem so I just added helmet speakers.Here's how I did it... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/292300-helmet-speaker-install-on-my-flhx-photos.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New problem with stereo sound quality