Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friggin Throttle Cable Broke this afternoon!!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 PM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Friggin Throttle Cable Broke this afternoon!!!!!

Originally posted this in the fuel section, but didn’t seem to get any response.

Wholly F@ck!!!! I get ready to go for a ride, it’s a nice sunny 30 degrees out today. I warm up the RK and get dressed to go. I grab the throttle, hear a small snap (more like felt it in the throttle) and no motor response. So there I was, stuck at the bottom of my driveway and no throttle. I went into the garage and grabbed what I thought would be the right tools, but everything is stars. Anyway, I cranked up the idle and rode the bike back into the garage and took the football off so I can see how much of a pain in the *** this is going to be to change. Yup, more stars!!!
So here’s my questions:

1.Do I have to remove the tank to get to the cable and change it? It looks that way from where I stand.
2.Should I change both cables at the same time since I am going to be in there anyway?
3.Where would be the best place to go to get the cables? I know the stealer wants twice as much for parts as most places.
4.When did Harley go to these stupid stars that have now caused me to have to go buy a new set of tools??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can’t wait to tell the wife that I have to spend more money again on my bikes.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

My throttle cable broke a couple months ago.Of course it happened 40 miles from home.
Anyway once I got it home,it looked like the job would be easier with the tank off.I removed the tank and then it was easier to see what I was doing.
The cable for mine was was only $21.00 from the dealer.I only replaced the throttle because the idle cable looked ok.
BTW,where did your cable break at?Mine was broken at the ball at the grip.
If you do remove the tank,I think its a good idea to siphon out as much gas as you can.This will reduce the amount that drains out of the crossover line.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Norwegian
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Throttle cable

Broke mine on the RK 95. Did not remove the tank. Taped the new one onto the old with some Silver Duck tape and pulled it from the throttle side and down to the carb side. Some small difficulties but all ok at the end. Had a friend help me when I connected to the carb.
I did not change both, the one that broke however was the idle and not the return. Good luck

Old 12-07-2008, 02:43 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really no reason to remove the tank,just take the bolts out and lift it up,stick somethin under the front to hold it up.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "star" screws are called Torx. It isn't a Harley thing. Everything mechanical is showing up with them as far back as the early 80s that I can remember. I will tell you that they are not cheep tool friendly and to ALWAYS use the right size. I have all snap-on and unfortunately do not know of a quality equivalent. Maybe sears?

Old 12-07-2008, 02:46 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... somebody has to say it.

"Another good reason for Throttle by Wire technology."

End of transmission.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine broke while I was on the rode. Luckily I was close to the dealer. They fixed it for $60.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
BTW,where did your cable break at?Mine was broken at the ball at the grip.
[quote=1FLTRI4ME;4205507]
Yup same place!!!

Originally Posted by rrsjs5
really no reason to remove the tank,just take the bolts out and lift it up,stick somethin under the front to hold it up.

Excellent idea!!! I will try a few towels to hold up the tank. This is why I came here first. Thank you for saving me a ton of trouble and time!!!

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
The "star" screws are called Torx. It isn't a Harley thing. Everything mechanical is showing up with them as far back as the early 80s that I can remember. I will tell you that they are not cheep tool friendly and to ALWAYS use the right size. I have all snap-on and unfortunately do not know of a quality equivalent. Maybe sears?

I was just getting ready to go to SEARS to get a set.

Thanks for all the good info, I have tomorrow off, so looks like I will be busy doing this in my garage instead of enjoying what is supposed to be mid 50s temperatures.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:53 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosierhog88
Ok... somebody has to say it.

"Another good reason for Throttle by Wire technology."

End of transmission.
I was thinking it...he said it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Well, the 08 Ultra has the "fly-by-wire" and no cables on the throttle. It MAY appear to be better, but I'm betting when that rheostat goes, it's going to take a lot more with it. That is, noting electronic is unto itself. There always has to be other stuff connected. My guess, the 25 dollar cable will be replaced by a 400 dollar "unit" that the dealer will want 5 hours to replace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Friggin Throttle Cable Broke this afternoon!!!!!