Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is the Difference between FLH & FLT Lowers?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What exactly is the Difference between FLH & FLT Lowers?

If you look at the description of the Vented lowers they say "except FLTR" but if you look at the non vented lowers there is no mention of not fitting the ugly a** RG's.
So what is the difference between the FLH lowers that wont let them fit the red headed step children FLTR?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The FLTR ones are cut lower at the top to clear the fairing. I have them on mine and you have to adjust the top when mounting or they will touch the fairing, the fltr ones are more pointed at the top too. Also I think the glove boxes are different.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Completely different design. They do not make vented lowers for the FLTR yet (too bad) and they are different in the parts book. The Glove Boxes and Doors are different too.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What they said...

I have FLH lowers on my 07Glide. they do touch the fairing, but not an issue (for me) since the fairing is fixed.

I already had them (taken off my 02 RK), plus I wanted vented lowers.

greg

Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
rakanghoth
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if i stole your thread... does the Roadglide lowers fit the FLHX? cuz i believe the road glide lowers look better...

Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
The FLTR ones are cut lower at the top to clear the fairing. I have them on mine and you have to adjust the top when mounting or they will touch the fairing, the fltr ones are more pointed at the top too. Also I think the glove boxes are different.
To be more specific,the FLTR's fairing has brackets that mount to the engine guard.

As far as them hitting the fairing,I think their molds are inconsistant.My right lower is about 1/8 away from hitting the bottom of the fairing while the left side is about 7/16 away.Spacers may fix this.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Based on what you guys are saying the FLH models actual will fit the Road Glide then????? you just may have the issue with touching the fairing??

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
To be more specific,the FLTR's fairing has brackets that mount to the engine guard.

As far as them hitting the fairing,I think their molds are inconsistant.My right lower is about 1/8 away from hitting the bottom of the fairing while the left side is about 7/16 away.Spacers may fix this.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

The lowers need to have clearance for the upper fairing brkt's. that clamp to the engine guard.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hoppe makes vents you can install in the lowers for $200. They make a ton of difference.
I thought they all attached to the eng guard, the FLTR one have more of a point to the design.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There DOES seem to be some inconsistency, my left side touches (keep it minf it is touching the rubber molding..not a painted surface), right side is 1 miilionth of an inch clear

Also, you do need to cut off the fiberglass portion which covers the "crash bars". This gives clearance for the fairing bracket. Hard to describe, but was very easy to figure out and do (we used an electric hand grinder with a cutting disc).

The local dealer told me this would work...gave me the nerve to try.

Two things influenced me to do it this way:

1. I wanted vented lowers and the ones for the glide are not available vented This was pretty important to me since I have ridden RKs without vents in the summer. I realize a couple companies make vents, but they are rather pricey and the reviews I found were not positive as to quality, air flow, etc.

2. I already had the FLH lowers, just had to get them painted cobalt blue (from black). the dealer guy I spoke with said others would purchase thw FLH lowers off e bay, etc...then conform to the glide.

Originally Posted by aclass
Based on what you guys are saying the FLH models actual will fit the Road Glide then????? you just may have the issue with touching the fairing??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What exactly is the Difference between FLH & FLT Lowers?