Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Road Captain
aclasshog
Default What exactly is the Difference between FLH & FLT Lowers?

If you look at the description of the Vented lowers they say "except FLTR" but if you look at the non vented lowers there is no mention of not fitting the ugly a** RG's.
So what is the difference between the FLH lowers that wont let them fit the red headed step children FLTR?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Elite HDF Member

The FLTR ones are cut lower at the top to clear the fairing. I have them on mine and you have to adjust the top when mounting or they will touch the fairing, the fltr ones are more pointed at the top too. Also I think the glove boxes are different.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
"Administrator & Troll Slayer"
Terry Tillis
Send a message via AIM to Terry"TheTrollKiller"

Completely different design. They do not make vented lowers for the FLTR yet (too bad) and they are different in the parts book. The Glove Boxes and Doors are different too.
!"

HDF Administrator
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Road Captain

What they said...

I have FLH lowers on my 07Glide. they do touch the fairing, but not an issue (for me) since the fairing is fixed.

I already had them (taken off my 02 RK), plus I wanted vented lowers.

greg
1947 Flathead 45 (tank shift-suicide clutch)
Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Hang Around
Send a message via Skype™ to rakanghoth

Sorry if i stole your thread... does the Roadglide lowers fit the FLHX? cuz i believe the road glide lowers look better...

08 FLHX, White Gold Pearl
Screamin' eagle slip on mufflers, black and chrome revolver tips, Screamin' eagle airfilter and SE race tuner.
Custom Paul Yaffe 18" Apes
Extended Saddle bags
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman1 View Post
The FLTR ones are cut lower at the top to clear the fairing. I have them on mine and you have to adjust the top when mounting or they will touch the fairing, the fltr ones are more pointed at the top too. Also I think the glove boxes are different.
To be more specific,the FLTR's fairing has brackets that mount to the engine guard.

As far as them hitting the fairing,I think their molds are inconsistant.My right lower is about 1/8 away from hitting the bottom of the fairing while the left side is about 7/16 away.Spacers may fix this.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Road Captain
aclasshog
Wink

Based on what you guys are saying the FLH models actual will fit the Road Glide then????? you just may have the issue with touching the fairing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME View Post
To be more specific,the FLTR's fairing has brackets that mount to the engine guard.

As far as them hitting the fairing,I think their molds are inconsistant.My right lower is about 1/8 away from hitting the bottom of the fairing while the left side is about 7/16 away.Spacers may fix this.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

The lowers need to have clearance for the upper fairing brkt's. that clamp to the engine guard.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Elite HDF Member

Hoppe makes vents you can install in the lowers for $200. They make a ton of difference.
I thought they all attached to the eng guard, the FLTR one have more of a point to the design.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Road Captain

There DOES seem to be some inconsistency, my left side touches (keep it minf it is touching the rubber molding..not a painted surface), right side is 1 miilionth of an inch clear

Also, you do need to cut off the fiberglass portion which covers the "crash bars". This gives clearance for the fairing bracket. Hard to describe, but was very easy to figure out and do (we used an electric hand grinder with a cutting disc).

The local dealer told me this would work...gave me the nerve to try.

Two things influenced me to do it this way:

1. I wanted vented lowers and the ones for the glide are not available vented This was pretty important to me since I have ridden RKs without vents in the summer. I realize a couple companies make vents, but they are rather pricey and the reviews I found were not positive as to quality, air flow, etc.

2. I already had the FLH lowers, just had to get them painted cobalt blue (from black). the dealer guy I spoke with said others would purchase thw FLH lowers off e bay, etc...then conform to the glide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclass View Post
Based on what you guys are saying the FLH models actual will fit the Road Glide then????? you just may have the issue with touching the fairing??
1947 Flathead 45 (tank shift-suicide clutch)
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 AM

P

Tags
bags, difference, extended, fairing, flh, flt, fltr, front, harley, lowers, saddle, saddlebags, softail, speaker, wheels