Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103" Stage II Hard Starting

Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 103" Stage II Hard Starting

Has anyone with a 103" Stage II experienced hard starting when hot? I had the download done by the dealer on Friday and took it for a 250 mile ride yesterday. It starts fine when cold but when it's hot it really labors and takes a couple or three tries before it will crank over enough to start. It sounds like the ignition is too far advanced. I'm wondering if the dealer might have downloaded the wrong map. Once it starts it runs great. Anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Marc

Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

Had the stage 2 completed with a sert about 8k miles ago. No issues.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Thanks for the feedback. If yours starts fine when hot with the SERT then it should have something to do with the download the dealer did since that changes the mapping including I would imagine the ignition curve. I hope somebody responds with the same dealer download I had done.

Marc

Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the stealer install compression release's on the head's? If not, you might have to go with a more powerful starter. 1.4 kw. The same thing happened to me. No problem starting now. Hot or cold.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Harley is pulling in all the CVO bikes with the 110 engines and installing compression releases and new gaskets. I imagine they have suffered lots of starters and lots of complaints about hard starting. My buddy has a 110 and has already replaced the battery and it always grunts and strains to start. It sounds like my old shovelhead. LOL. I am anxious to see what they do when his gets back. I think he took his in yesterday. We had some warm weather here in Indy. Rained like heck, but was warm.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shovel52
Harley is pulling in all the CVO bikes with the 110 engines and installing compression releases and new gaskets. I imagine they have suffered lots of starters and lots of complaints about hard starting.
There must have been at least 1 engineer that said to run releases.Trying to cut costs bit them in the ***!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:44 AM
richnakol
Cruiser

this is interseting. i got the 103 stage II kit for christmas. my dealer is closed til after the new year though. Would love to have a heads up on what it needs before i have it installed. 600$ for labor is what they quoted me to install. That sound on par with everyone else? Of course i dont know what cam spacers, primary cover gasket and maping cost.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vbx07
Did the stealer install compression release's on the head's? If not, you might have to go with a more powerful starter. 1.4 kw. The same thing happened to me. No problem starting now. Hot or cold.
That's a bummer! I would have thought the kit would include a new starter if that was necessary. Do you have the same as I do, 103" stage II and dealer download? BTW, do you have the starter part# by an chance? I want to see what Chicago gets for it.

Thanks,
Marc

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a dyno tune.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Lamar07
Advanced

Had same problem with mine Pierce HD in Dekalb Illinois did my tune in spring time got hot wouldnt start they wouldnt fix wanted 450 to retune Went to different dealer fixed it for $ 50.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 103" Stage II Hard Starting